Christmas Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well,

I'm looking to do a Christmas ale and had a few questions. First off I'm a cheap... no let me re-phrase frugal, and would like to re-use the yeast from the belgian white that I'm currently brewing. Would this not taste right with all the added herbs? Also what kind of grains would everyone recommended? I would like something that's fairly strong, sweet, and with the taste of the holidays such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger... etc etc.... Any recommendations?

I'm currently drinking the extract recipe found here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/st-arnolds-christmas-ale-3475/

It's excellent. It feels like a Holiday ale but has no spices added. I used an english ale yeast and fermented in the low 60's to get a really clean malty character. Not sure how the belgian would differ but sounds like it would work and end up pretty good. Mine turned out a lot maltier and a bit sweeter than the commercial version, but overall it's very balanced and it's going fast.

Latest posts

Back