Christian Moerlein OTR hoping to make a Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madewithchicken

Reaction score
Christian Moerlein is a local brewery here in Cincinnati so I am not sure how popular it is in the rest of the country. Here their lager is in most bars and grocery stores.

I am trying to find a recipe for their OTR ale. It is a hoppy well balanced beer. It is the only hoppy beer my girlfriend will drink.

All grain or extract is fine.

Thanks.

I about to try to make my own clone of this. But i am kind of new to All Grain (5 or 6 batches under my belt.)

Here is the closest thing i can find to a recipe:

"Moerlein O.T.R. Ale

Christian Moerlein Brewing Company Over the Rhine AleOn the nose, look for some fruity, juicy notes, almost like apple juice spiked with brown sugar, with ample ripe red apple notes, apple skins, pears, a touch of Belgian-beer-like sweetness, fresh barley grains, alcohol, and grassy hops that lean more toward citrus as the beer warms. Expect this beer to comes at the palate quite sweet, with an orange-rind tone. But there's a tongue-coating dryness from the hops that quickly dries things out and holds for lengthy, citrusy, grassy hop finish, with barley grains peaking late in the finish. Pairs nicely with Calmyrna figs.

Serving Temperature: 42-45° F
Int'l Bittering Units: 40
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
Suggested Glassware: Pint Glass or Stein
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Special Pale, Ashburne, Caramel, Victory
Hops: Cascade & Fuggle"

I do not know much about the Ashburne or Special Pale malts. I am not even sure my LHBS carries them.

Any help would be great.

I know this is super late, but just adding in case anyone else is looking for the info.

Vienna and Ashburne are similar malts, so that's what I use in my OTR clone. "Special Pale" is likely to be Special B (which is where the "Belgian style" descriptor they give is likely coming from), but there is definitely some chocolate malt in their 5.8% ABV version of OTR. I've seen chocolate wheat used, but I wouldn't go over 2% of the grist there. The last one I did. I went with 3.8% and it was like a chocolate porter.

Moerlien currently sells a version of their OTR under the Bronzer name, which is now a brown ale.

Back