Choosing Your Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been trying to figure out for a while how to strengthen or on the other hand make my brews weeker, including wine and liquores.

The reason for this was because i brewed a stout and lager at the same time. The stout was much stronger than the lager (I had mis-calculated the sugar!!). I could drink as much of the lager as I wanted but with the stout it was 4 pints and I was a mess talking gibberish, falling asleep in the middle of the floor etc you know how it goes.

I have been told recently and have even seen it advertised that if you add more sugar before the initial fermentation takes place you will get a stronger beer etc.

For instance if you add no sugar to a lager kit you will get around 2.5-2.9% ABV
1kg sugar u get around 4.6-5.2%abv and if you add 3kg u get around 8.8 -9.3%abv.

Now is there any truth in this and have you lot tried and tested it.... what are the results?

Happy brewing all :drunk:

There are several factors that will affect the final alcohol content in the beer. Two main ones. These are: total fermentable sugars and yeast strain. Now a few things affect the yeast and sugar(s), which I won't get into here.

The higher your starting gravity the more potential the wort has for a higher final alcohol content. Adding sugar is one way to increase this, but it really isn't recommended just for that purpose in most styles because the idea is to really get most of your fermentables from the malt. Some styles do rely on straight (usually inverted) sugar to lighten the body, change the flavor and increase the strength. Sugar can pretty much be added at any time that you have viable yeast, but is usually added to the boil so it dissolves easily.

Now every yeast strain has a potential to convert a certain percentage of the sugars they can consume from the wort into C02 and alcohol. This is a characteristic called attenuation which is basically = (OG - FG)/OG * 100, really what it is saying is the ratio of the differences in your wort's initial and final densities to the initial density in percentage form. This directly translates to how much of the sugar has been converted.

get a hydrometer and use it...

(Starting Gravity SG)-(final gravity FG)*131 = your ABV

More fermentable sugars means more alcohol, higher attenuating yeast means more alcohol.

Most beers land somewhere in the 1.040-1.055 range... which puts the beer between the 4-5.5% mark. Stuff like apfelwein which ferments completely (all fermentable sugar) can get a lot more alcohol in there cause the FG drops down to .998 (most beers end somewhere around 1.004-1.012). Its SG was only 1.053 and its gonna be 7.2% ABV!!

thanks for the info guys.

I havent used a hydrometer yet but i will purchase one and hopefully your equations will make more sense to me.

I have been unable to actually work out alcohol content and im now guessing the hydrometer is the best way to do this.

Can I just ask why you times the sum of SG - FG by 131? and when is the best time to take the SG before or after you add the yeast?

The kits I am using come in cans and are like a syrup, I then add the sugar only - Is there a better way to brew? (im only new at this)

Richy said:
Is there a better way to brew? (im only new at this)

Yes there is. I will reiterate what brewt00l said:

brewt00l said:
I would suggest starting here:

http://howtobrew.com/

In particular, the section Brewing Your First Beer With Malt Extract.

What you'll be doing is using extract similar to what you have used. It may be either dry (Dry Malt Extract, DME) or liquid (Liquid Malt Extract, LME).

In the beer you've done the extract was probably pre-hopped. Stay away from that and you'll add your own hops to the boil, so you're in full control and you get fresher hop flavors and aroma.

You may also be steeping some grains for greater flavor and other properties like head retention and body.

So read that site and come back here with any questions.

You're in for a wild ride with some fantastic beer if you do!

Cheers!

:mug:

A little research will go a long way my friend! Welcome to the obsession!

Thanks guys,

I will start reading that website and hopefully gain a further understanding.

Ideally I wanted to be in control of the full brewing of my beer but with the kits it just isn't that way.

No doubt i'll have many questions to ask in the future especially if i'm doing it from scratch.

Im looking forward to these aromas, many thanks once again.

Richy

Richy said:
Thanks guys,

I will start reading that website and hopefully gain a further understanding.

Ideally I wanted to be in control of the full brewing of my beer but with the kits it just isn't that way.

No doubt i'll have many questions to ask in the future especially if i'm doing it from scratch.

Im looking forward to these aromas, many thanks once again.

Richy
There are different kits that you can purchase and make great beer. It is a good way to start brewing while you are learning more of the process. Check out Morebeer,Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer for some quality kits. Also consider purchasing the newer version of the How To Brew book.It's has a bit more up to date information. Good Luck

Cheers Blender,

I will hunt these books down, do you know the authors?

especially the new How To Brew Book or is this the link to the website again?

Much appreciated.

Richy

"How To Brew" is written by John Palmer. It's widely available but I like to support my local store when possible rather than Amazon or some other large bookseller.I think it was redone last year. One link >>BrewingNetwork

Richy said:
Cheers Blender,

I will hunt these books down, do you know the authors?

especially the new How To Brew Book or is this the link to the website again?

Much appreciated.

Richy

the link is right on the first page of the site I gave you before....

Don't feel bad if the hydrometer seems scary, I haven't gotten the technique down. I know for sure my IG reading from the carboy was way off due to inadequate mixing. At least I took a reading. Last time I was so stressed about sanitation I decided it wasn't worth the risk. As I get more comfortable I plan to take this important aspect of the process more seriously.

D

Back