Choosing Among Imported Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khiddy

Reaction score
Given the variety of available imported malts in the USA, I'd like to hear some opinions on whose Pilsner malt is recommended. Do people recommend going with a maltster from the country that's home to the style? For example, if I'm doing a Belgian Abbey Ale, should I be using Belgian malt? Or is there even an advantage to using European malts over US Pilsner malts?

Looking at the website for each maltster (well, not Crisp, their site is worthless), I see that they all list their Pilsner malts as highly modified, so step mashing is not necessary, right? That would make for an easier brew day, assuming I'm doing a 100% Pilsner recipe (such as the NB Patersbier recipe).

I have available to me BestMalz (German), Weyermann (German), Castle (Belgian), Malteries Franco-Belges (France), Crisp (UK), Baird's (UK).

Fire away with your opinions!

I would say it all depends on your objective in the beer you are making. If you are brewing to a specific style and are working to duplicate the beer flavor and profile of a specific pilsen beer for a specific country (fro example german pils) then you would want to use malt from a maltster of that country along with specific hops. However, if you are making a pils that has good balance and flavor, any Pils malt will do a fine job. Part of the fun of home brewing is experimenting with different malts from different sources in a given beer and see what their effect is.

Dr Malt :mug:

I would start with dividing them up between North Am (if that is a consideration), British, and Continental. Which styles of beer that you plan to brew most fall into which of these locations? For instance, if you plan to brew Belgian and German beers with a Pilsen malt, I would go with one from Belgium or Germany (I'd lean towards German on that one).

Also, consider your planned mashing techniques and try to get a look at an example malt analysis from some of these vendors. Some of these malts might have varying degrees of modification and, therefore, total/soluble protein levels, which may have an affect on how you want to mash it (single infusion, step mash at certain temps, decoction, etc.)

Back