Chocolate yield percentage and color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I made a oatmeal stout quite a few months ago. This time around, I want to make a double choc oatmeal stout with this recipe. I was going to add 4oz of Dark Chocolate with 15 min left in the boil and then nibs in secondary.

Does anyone have a yield % for different chocolates. I'm not to worried about color i could just set that at 100 for dark chocolate. It's more the yield I need to see how it affects ABV.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he just take the sugar content listed on the package and use that weight at 100% yield? what other fermentables would there be?

I'm sure there are some chocolateers in here that will tell how wrong I am (which I'm completely okay with), just a guess.

I can't see the 4oz making a difference though

What kind of dark chocolate are you thinking about using? Regular bar chocolate does contain a fair amount of fat, oils and sugar.

The batch of choc stout I did (in Feb.), I used 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder and balanced out that extra cocoa bitterness with a pound of lactose. Mixed the two together dry in a bowl, added enough warm water to create a slurry, and added it with 10 minutes left in the boil.

After three months of bottle conditioning (which is about how long these sorts of beers take), it's delicious with just a faint hint of chocolate flavor at the finish.

I was thinking about using 4 - 8 oz of a 72 - 80% Cacao Dark Chocolate Bar. Melt that slightly in the microwave, then add it with 10 - 15 min left in the boil.

Read the label, if it contains any fats/oils as most chocolates do, I would just use unsweetened powder instead. fats/oils will kill head retention.

and Matt is correct, you could just use the sugar content in the nutrional facts to figure it out. it will be negligible

Maybe I'll use unsweetened cocoa powder instead. Or unsweetened bakers chocolate.

I made a chocolate cherry stout a few months back, I used a pound of cacao nibs (cacao beans without the shells) I bought raw ones, then roasted them at 220 for about 20 minutes, then added them to a secondary along with a vanilla bean to even out the chocolate bitterness. It turned out delicious, great chocolate flavor and aroma, especially when served in the mid 50s.

Just another option for you to consider, I think a pound was like $10 on Amazon though.

On my breakfast stout i used part of one of the bittersweet chocolate bars broken up (2oz worth) at flameout as the wort is definitely hot enough to melt it. Then I dry cocoa nib-ed it. There is still head on the beer. I think the amount of fermentables from the chocolate is negligable so i do not count the sugars in the recipe.

Back