Chocolate stout - how should I proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
On December 3 I brewed a Holiday Choclate Malt Stout from AHS. Everything went fine and I was right on with my gravity reading 1.052. I have done my FG testing and its at 1.016, right where it's supposed to be. The fermentation was done at 66 degree's

I want to start drinking this for Christmas. Should I just leave in Primary till next Saturday at 66 degrees and them carb for week at 40 degree's?

or

Should I transfer into keg tomorrow and leave in kegerator at 40 degrees until next week, and then carb in kegerator?

Also, When completing Hydrometer test today, I dropped in contents (Vodka) of Airlock into primary. I then tasted sample and it tasted like vodka. Is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Your brew tmight taste like alcohol just because it needs a bit more time in the fermenter. If you are determined to have this for Christmas, I would leave in the fermenter until Next saturday. Then I would transfer to the keg, toss it in your kegerator and force carb.

Thinking the sample I took was from vodka that fell in fermenter. I think I will leave until next week and start carbing for one week.

Thanks

mj,

My suggestion is to allow your beer to carbonate at room temperature. The yeast are more active at that temperature than it is at 40 degrees. Since you want it to be ready (carbonated) by Christmas, keep it at room temperature for two weeks then cool or refrigerate.

NRS

mj,

My suggestion is to allow your beer to carbonate at room temperature. The yeast are more active at that temperature than it is at 40 degrees. Since you want it to be ready (carbonated) by Christmas, keep it at room temperature for two weeks then cool or refrigerate.

NRS
I think he's planning on force-carbing it using CO2. Since this doesn't require yeast, and colder liquid holds gas in solution better than warm liquid. I think 40° will work just fine for him. At least thats what I took from the OP. Although he did type: degree's, on more than one occasion.

Although I will offer my opinion that a 22 day old stout will not be at its prime. That is a beer that you should let age.

Back