chocolate rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
if i use chocolate rye to replace chocolate malt, will i still get the same flavors that i would from the chocolate? just with a slight rye note?

or does it give different flavors than regular chocolate malt?

if i use chocolate rye to replace chocolate malt, will i still get the same flavors that i would from the chocolate? just with a slight rye note?

or does it give different flavors than regular chocolate malt?

Chocolate rye is dehusked, so its flavor is smoother, closer to carafa. It will also depend on the color, chocolate rye is often a bit lighter than chocoalte malt, so the flavor will again be less roasty/harsh.

I'm not sure I've ever used it without an additional form of rye, but much like coffee beans the more something is roasted the less important the grain/bean becomes and the more important the roast is. If you are looking for rye flavor I'd suggest adding rye malt (or caraway which is what most people think rye tastes like).

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back