Chocolate Powder Coloring SRM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
I've brewed plenty of stouts porters and brown ales with cocoa powder with great results, but my wife has tasked me with making something light ale/lager'ish with chocolate flavor to it. Obviously the easy answer is add cocoa powder, but i'm wondering what kind of effect it will have on the final product's SRM. I'm assuming minimal, but has anyone brewed something similar?

Considered Chocolate Extract, but in my experience, the flavor is often VERY subtle unless you use a ton of it, being not worth it from a cost standpoint

I am looking to brew a (5) gallon robust porter. Not looking to be blown away by chocolate but am looking for a moderate flavor addition. Would you mind sharing your experience cocoa powder? When/where do you add it and in what quantities?

Considered Chocolate Extract, but in my experience, the flavor is often VERY subtle unless you use a ton of it, being not worth it from a cost standpoint
I use this in my chocolate porter recipe at bottling/ kegging time. The head brewer at a well known craft brewery recommended to me to use a high quality extract for good flavor. I use 15-17ml in a five gallon batch. Doesn’t take much for a nice chocolate flavor. (In a dark beer with some roast and chocolate grains)
773DDE4E-3903-4FE0-AC2D-2838D443177E.jpeg

Last edited:
Back