Chocolate Cranberry Stout - When and how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicBomb

Reaction score
Looking to try my hand at something that will land in the ballpark of a Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout.

I can build a basic imperial stout recipe but the chocolate and cranberry amounts and "when" really get me.

Right now I threw a dart in the dark and hit:

- 0.5 lbs low fat cocoa powder at 15 min in boil
- 6 oz cocoa nibs in secondary
- 6 lbs cranberries in secondary (fresh or dried, unsure).

The stout will be roughly an 8 or 9% stout and I'm looking to hit a chocolate/cranberry note that is certainly there without being overpowering. Thinking the cranberry taste as more of a background note with chocolate playing more of an up-front flavor with the stout.

Never brewed with nibs or fruit so I'm 100% lost here.

I recently made a 7.5% Chocolate Cherry Stout with 2.5lbs cherries and 4-5oz cacao powder. I like the amount of cherry, but it could definitely use more chocolate. I've never brewed with cranberries, but my initial inclination would be to scale back to 3-4lbs fresh. Not that I have much to base that on.

Cranberries and chocolate are both high in tannins, which will give you a bitterness that doesn't fade. If that sounds like a problem, you can bump your crystal malt a little and/or lower your hopping.

Back