Chlorophenols in WLP550 Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augie21

Reaction score
Not much to say here about whether the Chlorophenols are present. This beer started fermentation with a strong chemical/plastic smell that seemed to condition out over time, but upon bottling, there it is again. The nose has a present chemical character and the taste finishes with melted plastic. I can only assume it's an infection because the water I use has never given this characteristic before.

However, I have a couple of question still. First, do different yeasts react differently to the same water profile enough to have caused this? I don't do much for water treatment with the exception of adding some acid malt to control ph, but not on this beer. I've brewed similar beers and never had this happen.

Second, if it's not an infection and it's due to Chloride, will this character condition out? I'd hate to dump if it could possible right itself.

What temp did you ferment at? This is from white labs "Phenolic and spicy flavors dominate the profile, with less fruitiness then WLP500."

I have found in my usage 550 to put of significantly more Phenols above 68°

Kept the fermentation at 68F for about 2 weeks and then let it free rise for a few weeks longer. During the last few weeks it never got over 72F. I actively ferment farmhouse and saisons low to keep some malt character present. I'm not too fond of huge phenols and esters.

It's definitely phenolic, but in a bad way. Burnt/melted plastic more than spiciness. There's a hint of banana and clove on the nose and palate, but it gets dominated by the bad phenols. Like, undrinkably dominated. My wife has a better palate than I do but knows little about beer, so she's a good judge of picking out flavors and aromas. Handed her this one and she immediately said chemical and medicinal when smelling it. The tasting was even worse.

You win some you lose some, that's cool with me. I'm just not sure if this will condition out or not and if this is typical of this strain.

I have not had luck conditioning out band aid flavors personally, but I feel as if I am very sensitive to them as well.

I think this a particular off flavor that I'm hypersensitive to, as well. I wish I could say the same for DMS and Diacetyl...

The reading I've been doing point to SOL. Oh well, the hopping wasn't really to my liking anyway.

Back