Chlorine removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnich314

Reaction score
I'm looking at my city's water quality report and it looks like my tap water is very clean except for some sodium (21 mg/L) and chlorine (1.06 ppm). I want to start using my tap water to brew instead of going out and getting gallons upon gallons of spring/bottled water.

I've read I can either draw a bunch of water and let it sit overnight, boil the water or use a campden tablet (or half a tablet) to rid it of chlorine. Any thoughts on which process is better? Letting it sit would be "free" while campden would cost money but campden would be a lot easier. Are there any negatives to using campden? Would using an entire tablet of campden give any "bad" flavors for a 5-gallon batch as opposed to 1/4 or 1/2 tablet?

You can also use vitamin C.

Letting it sit overnight won't do much if they use chloramine instead of regular chlorine. (I'm not sure about boiling.) Campden or Vitamin C will work on both chloramine and chlorine.

For the price of 1/4 campden tablet per 5 gallons (1 penny), you simply cannot afford to omit it. It removes all chlorine and chloramines within minutes (dissolve and stir well). No need to use 1/2 or whole one, it won't do a better job, but it won't harm either.

Standing overnight is BS it won't remove it all. Boiling is expensive and may precipitate and remove Ca which is beneficial.

So it sounds like campden is the way to go. I know it's regular chlorine too, not chloramine. Should I cut the pill then crush it up before adding to the water or will the cut pill dissolve on it's own?

+1 for campden tablets. they crush easily - just use your thumb in a spoon and throw it in your pot before you start your boil.

+1 for campden tablets. they crush easily - just use your thumb in a spoon and throw it in your pot before you start your boil.

I do it earlier than that...right after you draw the water, before mash and sparge start. I thought I read somewhere that the mash is where chloramines do their damage but I can't seem to find corroboration with that on The Goog, so maybe it doesn't matter.

All I know for sure is I once forgot to Campden my water and ended up adding it in mid-mash and I still ended up getting Band-Aid off-flavors.

What I need to use them in my mash and Sparge water as well?
Use them on all water that ends up in the beer. I sometimes treat all my water in the BK and then remove my sparge water to a smaller pot, since dose is so small.

Brew on :mug:

Back