Chipped enamel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb

Reaction score
I know everyone says using chipped enamel pots is a no no, but I can't find any real details on why. My main brew pot is stainless, but I still have the enamel canning pot I used when I home-brewed in the early 90s. I intended to use it for heating mash and sparge water, but what is the real risk there?

I accidentally posted this here as opposed to the beginner forum, but don't know how to move or delete it. Apologies.

I accidentally posted this here as opposed to the beginner forum, but don't know how to move or delete it. Apologies.

It's fine here- it belongs just fine in "equipment"!

The chipped enamel leaves the metal exposed. In my old chipped enamel pot, that exposed metal is usually rusty. It's not stainless steel, and will leave a metallic flavor in the finished beer.

DON'T USE IT! The un-passivated metal under the chip will leech a metallic taste in to your beer.

Back