chipotle flavor with minimal spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoross

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just racked a chipotle porter to secondary. In the last 5 minutes of the boil I added 6 de-seeded, chopped, dried chipotles in a hop bag. Upon the taste at racking, it had the right amount of spice I was going for, but none of the roasted smokiness from the chipotles I was hoping for.

What's the best way to add chipotle flavor with minimal spice in secondary? It can probably handle a bit more spice, but I want to maximize chipotle flavor when introducing whatever extra spice is necessary.
I've seen recipes with powdered chipotle, chopped up dried chipotles, and canned chipotles in adobo sauce, but never a comparison on flavor-to-spice ratios during secondary additions.

Thanks!

I've never done a side-by-side comparison of different methods, but one thing that you might consider is the addition of a bit of rauchmalt (beech-smoked). That'll give you a bit of the classic chipotle smokiness along with the spice.

I feel like the adobo the chillies are packed in the can have a lot of the smoky flavor. I usually add only that to dishes if I'm going for the smokey side and not the spicy side. It's not Thanksgiving without chipotle honey cranberry sauce.

And yeah probably better in the boil but I suppose you could boil a little water with adobo, or liquid smoke and add it to the secondary.

The more I think about a chipotle porter the more it makes sense. Did a particular recipe inspire you or are you shooting from the hip?

Just my two cents. I would let it ride. Others have commented that the smoky chipotle flavors can intensify with age. I've had other similar flavor profiles do this, but haven't tried chipotle yet.;)

I imagine the fermentation drove off some of those smoky/roasted volatiles. I'd add 2 dried seeded peppers to it for a week.

I agree with rockape66, let it ride. The chipotle flavors will change multiple times between now and when the beer is ready to drink/aged.

Back