Chinook/Pale SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
With a few kits under my belt, I figured it was about time to do some smash experiments to get better acquainted with some ingredients. How's this look for the first one:

14 lbs 2 row pale
3 oz chinook:
1oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 5
1 oz dry hop fr 7 days

Mash @152 for 60
Batch sparge
US-05 yeast fermented at 68
3 week primary, with the last week for dry hopping
No secondary, straight to bottles

This isn't really the forum for this. Is this a 10 gallon batch or 5 gallon? Either way you need way more hops.

This isn't really the forum for this. Is this a 10 gallon batch or 5 gallon? Either way you need way more hops.

My bad, can it be moved to the proper forum?

anyway, 5 gallon batch yes.
Would you suggest more late additions or more at 60?

I've heard time and time again, if you want aroma and are going to dry hop, get as much yeast out of your beer as possible. Hops contain oxygen which wake up the yeast and coat (in some form or another) and limit your aroma potential. I transfer to another vessel only when I dry hop, and I noticed better aromatics.

He's doing a all grain brew so why is this not the right forum? Do you think it should be in the recipe forum? I think there is a lot of overlap in forums. :mug:

The length of boil and the alpha acid of the hops determine the bittering of your beer. How bitter do you want it.

The amount of grain and your conversion/extraction efficiency determine how much sugars you have to ferment. So.....What kind of OG did you get and with that in mind, with the bittering you get from your hops will the beer be balanced for the style. How much hop aroma do you like? Only you will know if you used enough hops.

The length of boil and the alpha acid of the hops determine the bittering of your beer. How bitter do you want it.

The amount of grain and your conversion/extraction efficiency determine how much sugars you have to ferment. So.....What kind of OG did you get and with that in mind, with the bittering you get from your hops will the beer be balanced for the style. How much hop aroma do you like? Only you will know if you used enough hops.

There is truth on what he is saying but for a smash with 2 row and chinook you certainly don't want two row to be the star. You'll want to put enough flavor and aroma additions to taste the hop and understand it.

Here's an idea for you. Depending on your efficiency scale the recipe to hit 1.050-1.065 whatever your preference. Bitter to 60ish ibus

Then do an ounce at 10,5,0 and 3 ounces for dry hop.

Also in general smash beers are typically quite good or quite underwhelming you may not want 5 gallons around. The president of my brew club is doing 2 row single hop smashes and does the following. Normal mash and batch sparge with a grain bill similar to the 1.050-1.060. Ends up with 6-8 gallons. Heats to stop the starch conversion. He then does one gallon batches with that wort and different hops.

That way you get 5 smashes from one batch and don't have 5 gallons of a beer that you don't like.

Now that sounds like an idea I can get behind xpert. 5 one gallon batches from the same mash. I think I might abandon my original plan and go this route. I am trying to become familiar with flavors after all, and I doubt I need 5 gallons of the same recipe to do that.
It brings up a few more questions though.
1. Should I try to adjust the hop additions so that all 5 batches have roughly the same IBU's? I feel like that would make them all "even" and give me roughly the same beer with different hop flavors and what-not.
2. And what's the best way to store the extra pre-boil wort while I'm doing the various boils? I have a 7.5 gallon and a 3.5 gallon pot. So drain my mash into the 7.5, heat it all up to stop conversion, pull it from the heat, siphon out what I need for the 1 gallon batch and boil in the 3.5. Then just let the rest of the wort sit in the larger pot between boils? Should I cover it or not worry since its preboil?
Man, this has really got the wheels turning now!

As long as you are brewing that day, I don't think that its a huge concern how to store the wort, as you said because its preboil.

If it were me, I adjust the bittering addition for each hop to hit a similar number of IBUs from the bittering addition. Then use the same amounts and times for the flavor, aroma, and dry hops.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back