Chimay Triple Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroutBum

Reaction score
Had a friend turn me onto the Chimay Triple a few month back, one of the best brews I've had in a long time! It's been 12+ years since my last batch of homebrew but sipping on my last triple, I've got the bug again.

So here's my question; does anyone have a recipe for a clone using an extract? I found a recipe here but requires whole grain. I never tried mashing and to be honest, don't want to try with my first batch in over a decade. I may work my way up to mashing but I'm looking to crawl before I walk so to speak.

It is fairly easy to convert between All Grain and Extract. Replace the base malt (2-Row, Pale Malt, probably Pils for a tripel, etc.) with enough dry or liquid pils or extra light extract to get you up to the equivalent original gravity. Keep the adjuncts or specialty grains, hop additions, etc.

There are lots of online calculators, and brewing software to help with the calculations. If in doubt, give it a whirl, post your recipe and ask someone to double check your math. :mug:

Here you go. This is AG, but it is very close to the real deal. If anything, you may want to decrease the base malt, and add even more table sugar to keep the OG the same.

For those doing AG with this recipe, It is best if you use filtered water and do not use 5.2. You want soft water for the mash.

-J

Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 11.00 gal      

Boil Size: 12.23 gal

Estimated OG: 1.092 SG

Estimated Color: 17.3 SRM

Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      

28.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)           Grain        76.2 %        

4.00 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        10.9 %        

1.00 lb       Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        2.7 %         

0.50 lb       Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)                  Grain        1.4 %         

0.50 lb       Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        1.4 %         

0.25 lb       Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        0.7 %         

1.70 oz       Cluster [7.00%]  (60 min)                 Hops         13.8 IBU      

0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00%]  (15 min)     Hops         1.4 IBU       

0.50 oz       Hallertauer [4.80%]  (15 min)             Hops         1.4 IBU       

0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00%]  (1 min)      Hops         0.1 IBU       

0.50 oz       Saaz [4.00%]  (1 min)                     Hops         0.1 IBU       

0.25 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)             Misc                       

0.40 oz       Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)        Misc                       

2.00 lb       Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)          Sugar        5.4 %         

0.50 lb       Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)             Sugar        1.4 %         

1 Pkgs        Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)         Yeast-Ale

Here you go. This is AG, but it is very close to the real deal. If anything, you may want to decrease the base malt, and add even more table sugar to keep the OG the same.

For those doing AG with this recipe, It is best if you use filtered water and do not use 5.2. You want soft water for the mash.

-J

Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 11.00 gal      

Boil Size: 12.23 gal

Estimated OG: 1.092 SG

Estimated Color: 17.3 SRM

Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      

28.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)           Grain        76.2 %        

4.00 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        10.9 %        

1.00 lb       Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        2.7 %         

0.50 lb       Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)                  Grain        1.4 %         

0.50 lb       Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        1.4 %         

0.25 lb       Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        0.7 %         

1.70 oz       Cluster [7.00%]  (60 min)                 Hops         13.8 IBU      

0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00%]  (15 min)     Hops         1.4 IBU       

0.50 oz       Hallertauer [4.80%]  (15 min)             Hops         1.4 IBU       

0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00%]  (1 min)      Hops         0.1 IBU       

0.50 oz       Saaz [4.00%]  (1 min)                     Hops         0.1 IBU       

0.25 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)             Misc                       

0.40 oz       Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)        Misc                       

2.00 lb       Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)          Sugar        5.4 %         

0.50 lb       Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)             Sugar        1.4 %         

1 Pkgs        Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)         Yeast-Ale

This must be for Chimay Blue?

I think that the OP is looking for Chimay White.

Thanks for the replys... yes, I'm looking for a Chimay White clone We tried the blue and it's not bad but I loved the white! I'm going to do a little researching to see what I can come up with. If anyone has any other ideas or receipes on it let me know.

I'll post what I come up for some feedback before I get to brewing...

Found a couple of receipts. Let's see if those with more experience have any comments:

Extract
8 lbs light DME
1.5 lbs sugar
tablespoon of lemon juice
2 oz East Kent Goldings
1 oz Hallertrau Herbrucker
White Labs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Add 1.5 oz of East Kent Goldings and .5 oz of Hallertrau and sugar at start of boil, 90 min boil, last 5 minutes add remaining hops. 5 gal recipe

Partial Mash
3.3 lbs pale, unhopped extract
12 lbs, pale dry extract
1 lbs 6 row pale malt
1 lbs wheat malt
2 lbs light brown sugar
1/2 lbs corn sugar
10 grams coriander
8 grams orange peel
4 hbus Saaz
4 hbus Hallertauer
4 1/2 hbus Fuggles
1 tb Irish Moss
Calling for yeast culture from Chimay but would probably use White Labs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214, 7 gal recipe

I've never tried a partial mash, got my wife tryingt to find my copy of the Joy of Homebrewing...

Looks pretty good... I'd do a 90 min boil, yes, but I would add hops at 60 and 5.

One thing when adding sugar... It takes longer to dissolve than DME, so make sure it doesn't lay in a lump at the bottom of the pot and scorch.

You will love WLP500. It's a fantastic yeast.
-J

Found a couple of receipts. Let's see if those with more experience have any comments:

Extract
8 lbs light DME
1.5 lbs sugar
2 oz East Kent Goldings
White Labs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214

Add 1.5 oz of East Kent Goldings and .5 oz of Hallertrau and sugar at start of boil, 90 min boil, last 5 minutes add remaining hops. 5 gal recipe

Partial Mash
3.3 lbs pale, unhopped extract
12 lbs, pale dry extract
1 lbs 6 row pale malt
1 lbs wheat malt
2 lbs light brown sugar
1/2 lbs corn sugar
10 grams coriander
8 grams orange peel
4 hbus Saaz
4 hbus Hallertauer
4 1/2 hbus Fuggles
1 tb Irish Moss
Calling for yeast culture from Chimay but would probably use White Labs WLP500 or Wyeast 1214, 7 gal recipe

I've never tried a partial mash, got my wife tryingt to find my copy of the Joy of Homebrewing...

I would be tempted to try the first recipe rather than the second, although I am not sure what the lemon juice is for. I don't think that Chimay White has spices in it! I am pretty sure that it would be mostly pilsner malt with a bunch of sugar and the chimay yeast (WLP500 or Wyeast 1214 would work)

Yeah. I call a big ol' massive BS flag on ANY spices or orange peel in Chimay. Not gonna happen. A bit of an insult, really, to the magnificent marvel of Chimay.

Here's another thread that resulted in a recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chimay-tripel-recipe-51874/
It's written for 75% efficiency for any of you AGers. But for the OP, it would be very easy to convert to extract. You'll have very minimal steeping grains.

Chimay White / Cinq Cents Clone
10.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium
0.50 lbs. Amber Malt
0.38 lbs. Crystal 10L
1.00 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear)

1.00 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang 90 min
0.50 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker 90 min
0.50 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker 15 min

WYeast 1214 Belgian Ale

Mash at 150°F for 90 min.

Now.... Chimay Red is where MY heart lies. :D The Tripel/Cinq Cents and the Blue/Grand Reserve are both good - but the Red is freakin' heaven in a glass.
All Grain Recipe - Chimay Red ::: 1.064/1.015 (5.5 Gal)

11 lbs. - Maris Otter - 2 Row malt
1 lb. - Candi Sugar, clear
1/2 lb. - Caramunich Malt
1/4 lb. - Aromatic Malt
1 oz. - Chocolate Malt (optional)

1.25 oz. - Tettnang - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Galena - 15 min.
1/4 oz. - Styrian Goldings - 15 min.

White Labs Abbey Ale Yeast (WLP530) - 1800 ml starter

I assume it's to invert the sugar, to be added after most fermentation activity has subsided.

Except that it says to add the sugar at the beginning of the boil. Which brings up another point...

I would add the sugar closer to the end of the boil for less chance of carmelization. And better hop utilization.

Yeah. I call a big ol' massive BS flag on ANY spices or orange peel in Chimay. Not gonna happen. A bit of an insult, really, to the magnificent marvel of Chimay.

Here's another thread that resulted in a recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chimay-tripel-recipe-51874/
It's written for 75% efficiency for any of you AGers. But for the OP, it would be very easy to convert to extract. You'll have very minimal steeping grains.

I would be surprised if Chimay white used those specialty grains. Not saying that it won't work or be good......but from what I have read about most of the Belgian Tripels is that they are verrry simple. Often just Pils and sugar(and yeast of course).

Edit: Probably some hops too!!!!!

I would be surprised if Chimay white used those specialty grains. Not saying that it won't work or be good......but from what I have read about most of the Belgian Tripels is that they are verrry simple. Often just Pils and sugar(and yeast of course).

I agree - I was just sharing what I found.

It's a small enough amount of specialty grains that it is feasible, though, that it would result in a good clone. I'd at least use the Caramel 10 for a little bit of residual sweetness.... I could see dropping the Amber malt, I could also see using it. *shrug*

It's still fairly close to pils & sugar though. :p

I agree - I was just sharing what I found.

It's a small enough amount of specialty grains that it is feasible, though, that it would result in a good clone. I'd at least use the Caramel 10 for a little bit of residual sweetness.... I could see dropping the Amber malt, I could also see using it. *shrug*

It's still fairly close to pils & sugar though. :p

Very true!

Have you made that Red clone?

I made a similar one that was very good except it turned out a bit too bitter(hoppy) and a little thin.

Teach, you are correct. According to the recipe, the lemon juice is to help invert the sugar. It says to create a syrup with the sugar warns to not just dump in it. I agree about all the spices, maybe coriander for some of the cooking but not in my beer!

So what do ya'll think about converting Chriso's recipe over to extract? What do you think I'll need?

Haven't tried the red but planning on hitting the beer store on the way to the house. God forbid if a few bottles found it’s way in the truck...

Have you made that Red clone?

I made a similar one that was very good except it turned out a bit too bitter(hoppy) and a little thin.

I haven't yet! I just found the recipe recently... Do you recall the hop schedule on your version? I thought the schedule on the version I quoted looked a bit heavy on the bittering hops. I like the idea of the addition of Galena for a little citrusy punch, even if it's not an authentic ingredient.

In fact, I'd suspect the "real deal" uses either Saaz, Slov Goldings, or perhaps Strisselspalt maybe? Something specific to the region, of course.

One last question before I get started, I'm using this recipe:

Extract
8 lbs light DME
1.5 lbs sugar
2 oz East Kent Goldings
White Labs WLP500

The original recipe was for all grain, it called for 10 lbs Belgian Pilsner malt, 1 lbs of Belgian Wheat malt and .25 lbs rice hulls. I'm doing away with the rice hulls, using 6 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME and 2 lbs Muntons Extra Light DME. Do ya'll think I need any wheat DME? The all grain was showing a pound of wheat. I picked up 1 lbs of Muntons Wheat DME just in case.

Anyway, cleaning up the turkey frier from last week. Figure I'll get the batch going here a few minutes...

Nah, I'd leave the wheat out, and just roll with your Golden Light and Extra Light extracts.

thanks....any last minute advice? Measuring out the water now to get started

I don't want to be a loudmouth, because I don't *know* if this is true. But I feel I have to say something: My gut says less hops. That looks like it's going to be a little more bitter than tripel's usually should be.

Like I said. I don't have much basis for my opinion, I'm just staring at that and thinking "Would I like 2oz Goldings in a Tripel.... Envisioning 2oz Goldings.... now envisioning a Tripel....."

If it were my own brew, I would be tempted to do something like:
0.75 oz Goldings at 0:60
0.25 oz Goldings at 0:20
And forget the other 2 oz hops.

But I have no proof. I don't know if that's inherently "right". It's just what my gut is yelling loudly at me.

Are you doing a full boil? Or a partial boil? I am calculating IBUs in BeerSmith to back up my gut feeling, but the boil volume makes a huge diff.

Edit: I'm running the #'s in BeerSmith, and it looks like I am worrying more than I need to.
Assuming 2.0 oz EKG 4.5% at 60 minutes, and 1.0 oz Hersbrucker 3.5% at 5 minutes, I get:

IBUs (boil volume / kettle size)
27 IBU (6.4gal full boil / 30qt kettle)
16.5 IBU (4.1gal / 20qt pot)
10.9 IBU (2.5gal / 12qt pot)

That is assuming the extract is not done via late addition, that will change those #'s. Let's assume you did 2# XLDME for the full boil time, and the other 6# Golden for your 15 minute late addition. That would make these IBU numbers turn into....
38 IBU (full boil / 30qt kettle)
32 IBU (4.1gal / 5 gal pot)
24 IBU (2.5gal / 3 gal pot)

Style guidelines recommend 20-40 IBU.

So in conclusion, I was over-worrying. Proceed as planned. Looks like it'll be perfect.

I hadn't really taken into consideration that that's 3oz hops in a 1.085 wort. Big difference than those same 3 oz hops in a 1.044 Pale Ale recipe. (Namely, 44 IBU for a full boil.)

full boil, 90 minutes, dropped 2/3 the kent goldens and 1/2 the hersbrucker in 30 minutes into the boil. about to put the remaining hops in to finish (5-10 minutes boil time). sugar was put in 45 minutes into the boil. I'll pull the total volume up to 5 gal, check temp and pitch the yeast here in another 20 minutes or so.

Tough evening, brewing a Chimay clone and working on my second as I type... Life's good, thanks for the help. Goal is to be sipping on this batch new year's eve...

Goal is to be sipping on this batch new year's eve...

Next year?

I would not have high hopes of this one being "ready" in 3+ weeks.

I would leave this in primary at least a month, and if you can stand it, secondary a month or 3. My second batch was an imperial stout brewed in early feb 08. Its just hitting its stride. Do whatever you want, but do yourself a favor and keep some of this around at least a year. You will thank me next new years.

Maybe I should have had the second Chimay last night... Looks like I've got a little trouble, boiled 90 minutes, brought the total volume back to 5 gals, actually added some ice to bring the temp down to around 75 deg. and pitched the yeast about 8:00 last night. Checked on things this morning and no action as of yet. Got a little foam on top but not much to speak of. Temp of the wart is sitting around 75 deg. .

I'm assuming that fermentation should be going pretty good by now. Any ideas...

Did you pitch from the tube/smack pack or did you make a starter?

Give it time. If it's not rockin' in another 24 hrs, worry, sure. But for a 1.085 beer, sure it'll take a bit to kick off.

Used WLP500 liquid, pitched straight from the vial after aerating the wort; no starter. Starting to get a little action now but REALLY slow getting started. I'll keep an eye on it for the next day or so.

Another question for down the road a little. I'll be kegging this batch. I'm planning on racking into a cornie for the secondary fermentation (if I can find a few spare lids for them). What's everyone's thoughts on additive for clarity? Do ya'll think I should add gelatin once I get it racked or just leave it alone?

I’m starting to look for a good recipe for an IPA or a Boston ale, any suggestions for the next batch?

Instead of what you just described, I would prepare a unflavored gelatin solution. I would 1) primary for 3-4 weeks, 2) add that solution to the primary fermenter one day before you are about to keg, and 3) skip secondary, and just go directly to carbonation and storage/conditioning.

Next time, You'll probably want to use a starter on a beer this big. I use starters for anything over 1.040, personally, unless I'm using dry yeast. (Those 11g Safale packs go nuts without one.)

Yes, I'll be using a starter in the future. When I was brewing back in the early '90's the only yeast we could get was dry. 12 hours after it was pitched things were going nuts with it.

Downloaded BeerSmith, been playing with it some today. I've got this one entered. It's showing a forced carb to be at 21.64 lbs, sound about right? It's showing carbonation at 2.4 volumes. What is this? This is my first attempt at kegging.

So? How does it taste? I'm thinking of making this myself.

Can you post the final recipe?

Back