Chilling Thoughts - pun intended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
I’m at the point (after much time and money spent) where I am fine tuning and dialing in my process both technique and equipment wise.* The last part of the equation to what I would perceive is my perfect set up ----- chilling the wort.* Here is my current setup and how I use it:
5 gallon AG, PM, and Extract Batches
-Cooler Mashtun w/ stainless braid – batch sparge
-10 gallon Update International Stainless Kettle (Megapot)
-5 gallon cheap stainless kettle – used for partial boils, and now for heating batch sparge water/collecting 2nd runnings
-20 ft. 3/8ths wort chiller (whatever the dinkiest chiller made by Brewer’s Best is)
Alright, so I need to chill 5-5.5 gallons of wort more effectively than I am able to right now.* My current practice is to run either 74f (summer ground water temp) or 54f (winter ground water temp) water through my garden hose into the chiller to knock off the bulk of the heat, then I switch to a cheap Harbour Freight pump to recalculate ice water to chill the rest of the way to pitching temp.* All of this gets done while I act as a human whirpool, and it takes forever – 30ish minutes or so.* So I’m thinking I have a few options, and with cost savings always in mind:
Figure out some way to keep the wort moving across the coils of even my wimpy chiller WITHOUT buying a pump – any ideas?*
Install a dip tube with the pick up at the side of the kettle, whirpool the wort manually, purchase a march pump, and set up a Jamil style Whirpool Chiller with my current chiller – will hop pellets clog the march pumps?* I brew massive IPA and IIPA’s with all hop pellets, so this is a concern, as I don’t like the idea of using hop bags.
Install dip tube as above, whirpool the wort, purchase a counterflow chiller of some kind – a) plate chiller – the thought of not being able to fully clean one scares the hell out of me, b) chillzilla – able to blast water/pbw through a larger opening to clean it. **Would these two options both require a pump as well?* If so, then I have to lay out cash for both a march pump, AND a new chilling device.*
The main issue really is trying to keep the equipment purchases to a minimum, but also balancing out the need to effectively chill the wort.* After writing all this out, I’d like to know everyone’s opinion on going with option 1 or 2, and if getting a pump and setting up the JZ whirpool chiller would effectively chill my 5-5.5 gallon batches effectively.* What a rambling over analyzed post, but once I’ve got this sorted out I’ll never have to….. yeah… right.* **

Your chiller sounds like the bottleneck.

If you are actively stirring and it takes 30 minutes to cool, then a pump and whirlpool are will not shorten this time.
I would upgrade to a longer and or bigger outer diameter chiller.

You can add the pump and whirlpool arm later.

This advice is from direct experience. I had the same situation when I switched to all grain and full boils and the small cooling coil just did not work fast enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I should clarify. I do stir the wort while chilling, but its not 100% constant. I'm thinking that if the wort was moving 100% of the time I could get it to temps in 20-25 minutes. I'm fine with that time as long as I dont have to stir it manually.

You have any brew buddies with a bigger chiller you could borrow?
That would be a good way to test if a bigger chiller would be enough or if you want to go a new route with a pump and whirlpool or maybe do both.

I fully understand not wanting to stir for that long. Pain in the arm.

Post update -----

Just finished up a batch of a session cda using my new method I stumbled upon to chill the wort.

I don't even know what word is right to describe the setup.... Reckon since I'm in VA, hillbilly sounds about right... The following setup looked and was very hillbilly. I found myself staring at the egg/kitchen mixer, the small appliance kind that you hold that has 3 speeds and 2 metal stirrers. So, one zip tie, my mash paddle and 2 lengths of 1x6 boards draped over the kettle later, and I had a whirpool going in seconds.

Basically you have to figure out a way to suspend the (only put on of the stirrers into the mixer) mixer over the wort so that the stirrer is fully submerged. I should have taken a picture, and will do later if anyone wants to see it. I got no aeration, just a nice steady whirpool that chilled the wort in 15 minutes to 62f. It would normally take me 30 or more while stirring it myself. It worked unbelievably well, and cost me nothing. Give it a shot if you hate stirring wort around your chiller.

Back