Chilling Early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanEBIAB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Random idea as I sit ideally watching my wort cool on a 90°F day:
As I understand, the wort itself (sans hops) only needs 15 minutes of boiling to be sanitary enough for yeast. Shorter boil times for hops and no-chill techniques aside for now and assuming a 60m and 15m hop boil, couldn’t you pour off a good amount of wort into another vessel and start chilling it after just 15 minutes of boil to recombine with your hoppy wort after the hops have boiled enough? Shoot, couldn’t you split your wort, add both hop additions into each and begin chilling one after 15 minutes and one after 60?

How much wort do you really need for hop utilization? Has anyone tried this before?

Traditionally you'd boil for 60' (ale malts) or 90' (for Pilsner malts) to convert SMM (that's in the raw wort) to DMS, then drive that off through evaporation. With many modern, well-modified malts a shorter boil time can be sufficient. You can try a 15' boil and check how much DMS is left in the final product. If you can't taste or smell it (e.g., a cooked cabbage or corn scent/flavor) the boil time was probably sufficient.

Back