Chilling Completely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drksky

Reaction score
During the summer, my groundwater is only able to get my wort down to maybe 75° within a reasonable amount of time without a pre-chiller and ice.

Since I'm using a freezer fermentation chamber, would it be a problem to get the wort chilled as well as the groundwater can, then transfer it to the fermenter, seal it and let the chamber chill it the rest of the way before pitching?

I know you're supposed to pitch as soon a possible, but how long is "as possible"? I would imagine the freezer would take maybe another hour to get 75° wort down to the mid-60's.

Considering I don't chill at all before moving to the chamber I'll say you're good

OP: No problem at all. That's what I do. I chill to 70 or so, then into the chamber, aerate, and cap with my thermowell until it gets the rest of the way down to 64. Later that night, once it's at the right temperature, I pitch the yeast. It's not going to get contaminated in just a few hours.

i do that all the time. only in the winter am i able to get my temp down to the 60s with out the ferm chamber

I always remember reading and hearing that he key is to get the wort under 100˚ as soon as possible. That being said, I've also read of a lot of people who successfully brew great tasting beers and use the "no chill" method. So yeah, as stated above, you are fine.

Back