Chill Haze...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsbrew

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting rid of the chill haze in my brew. I have tried Irish Moss several times and I just can't get it clear. WTF?

Whirlfloc and gelatin are two additions that seem pretty popular. I crash cooled my first brew, IPA, and I'm pretty happy with the clarity. How many brews have you done, what kind, what types of yeast?

Do you bother if i borrow your topic a little?
Does the chill haze impart any off-flavors, or it's just a problem to the appearance?

Sorry.
and Thanks.

Do you bother if i borrow your topic a little?
Does the chill haze impart any off-flavors, or it's just a problem to the appearance?

Sorry.
and Thanks.

Honest and relevant question to this thread IMO!

It's totally aesthetic! When it usta bother me...I'd serve in stone mugs...now...I'm proud when it happens....just means I'm doing things MY WAY...not the BMC way.

Having said that...I do strive (to some extent) for clear beer.

Chill haze is a combination of too much protein and too much tannin, right?

If you cut down on, or remove, one of the two, you get less haze, right?

OP: How old is the beer? Time clears all beers. Irish moss and Whirlfloc help from the kettle, as does getting good hot and cold breaks. Post-fermentation fining agents (such as gelatin, Polyclar, and isinglass) also help. Time and cold storage will win out over chill haze, tough, always.

Kirks: Yes.

Pedipano: Like BigK said, chill haze is has no effect on flavor or aroma. It is just some extra proteins that have come out of solution and will, given the chance, settle out to the bottom. If anything, chill haze indicates that your beer could be less stable over time because of the protein content, but that's about it.

TL

Pedipano: Like BigK said, chill haze is has no effect on flavor or aroma. It is just some extra proteins that have come out of solution and will, given the chance, settle out to the bottom. If anything, chill haze indicates that your beer could be less stable over time because of the protein content, but that's about it.
TL

Man, could is very acceptable to me. :D
I'll bother myself in making good beer so.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Whirlfloc and gelatin are two additions that seem pretty popular. I crash cooled my first brew, IPA, and I'm pretty happy with the clarity.

Sorry for being a "NEWB" but WTF is "crash cooling"? Also, when is the best time to add Whirlfloc and gelatin?

Wear a blind fold as you drink the beer.

Or just put the bottles in the fridge for about a month. That usually does the trick.

Sorry for being a "NEWB" but WTF is "crash cooling"? Also, when is the best time to add Whirlfloc and gelatin?

Crash cooling is cooling your fermenter down to mid 30's to drop everything out of suspension. Whirlfloc is added with 10-15 minutes left in the the boil. Gelatin is added to the secondary.

I strive for more clear beer, but I'm not adding any crazy stuff like gelatin, fish guts, plastic, or whatever weirdness they put in there. I like the idea of my beer having only the basics in there. I may even go organic. I'd rather have a pure beer with chill haze, than a clear beer with all kinds of funky stuff. Maybe beer is supposed to be cloudy. Anybody have any pics from more than 2 centuries ago? ;)

You can also just let the beer sit for a few months, I know, and impossible task, but my first batch of Blond was crystal clear when warm, but the dreaded chill haze would strike as soon as I put it in the fridge. I had stashed a 12 pack away and did not open then until almost 8 months later.

Besides the beer tasting fantastic, they were crystal clear even at 38 degrees or so.

having the right ph also has a effect on clarity, protiens as well as yeast that may not flocculate out all the way will drop out at colder temps with a proper ph. Just my 02.

Eastside

I'm starting to think of all that wort that i left in the kettle thinking that the trub was very, very bad for the beer.:(
Will the trub going to influence in the taste, or just about the chill haze?

But now that i gathering that knowlegde, i have the power to not make that again.:)

FWH, hot break, raging boils, cold break, whirlfloc, cold conditioning, and patience is what I do to prevent chill haze and I still don't always succeed. :drunk:

Back