Chill haze that is gone at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been noticing a haze in my beer for a while and have just let it go. But this morning i noticed my beer was crystal clear, no haze. I figure the only difference is the room temperature it's now at.

So my question is - why does the haze go away at room temperature and what can I do to get it that clear when it's cold? I haven't tried anything like gelatin yet. Typically I ferment for 2-3 weeks in primary then cold crash for 1 week and then bottle at the cold temp. The bottles then warm up to cellar temp while conditioning. Then I'll throw one in the fridge and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The proteins responsible for the haze clump when cold and form the haze. When warmed they come apart and the haze disappears. Getting rid of this stuff can be maddening, but there are ways to combat it. First, try to keep the proteins out: conduct a good boil, use Irish Moss or Whilfloc, chill the wort as quickly as possible. I seem to see less when I cold crash the fermented beer and let it sit a few days, like you've been doing. Next, if you've got it, you need to get the proteins out: gelatin or other fining will often do the trick, there's filtering, and lastly cold condition your beer for an extended period and it will often settle out on it's own...otherwise, serve your beer a little warm and tell people it's supposed to be that way.

Or call it a wheat beer and give it some funky German like name like schlitzengiggles.

I can't remember which BMC says it is "cold filtered". But this is why they cold filter: force a chill haze and filter the protein.

The proteins responsible for chill haze only coagulate at low temperatures. Which means they will only be visible at low temperatures.

Things to try to combat chill haze:
1. Add a protein rest to your mash schedule.
2. Good rolling boil to create a good hot break.
3. Irish moss.
4. Rapid chiling to form a good cold break.

Also, carb & condition your bottled beers at around 70F or a bit more. They'll carb up in the usual 3 weeks or so for average gravity beers. Then chill in the fridge for a week. This is usually enough time to see chill haze form, then settle out like a fog. I use whirlfloc in the boil as well. Then chill the wort asap. Give the fermented beer time to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.
But mostly giving the bottles enough time to settle out the chill haze in the fridge. It's not a quick process.

Back