Chill Haze? Or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjangle

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm hoping someone can calm my fears that this is not the mountain I'm making it, but is indeed just a bump to slowly get over!

This is a SMaSH brew, 11lbs Maris Otter/Centennial. All hops added during boil with last bit at flame out. Rapidly chilled to 75degrees and then finished chilling to 62 over the next hour. Pitched dry S-05. It hit as low as 60 degrees when I pitched the yeast and for concerns of getting colder I put it in my closet where it has sat and maintained 66. Gravity slowed and has maintained for 3 days and normally I can see the beer clearing by now, but this doesn't seem to be getting better.
I scrubbed the carboy before sanitizing in starsan.

Any thoughts on this one?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1489451636.700334.jpg

OMG that looks horrible! Youd better bottle it and just ship it up to me for disposal.....dont want your friends seeing it that way!

So, how many days since that batch was actually pitched?
That looks like ~five days in for the typical pale or ipa I run with US-05...

Cheers!

So, how many days since that batch was actually pitched?

That looks like ~five days in for the typical pale or ipa I run with US-05...

Cheers!

I pitched last Saturday so it's been 9 days.

I've brewed this once before and, with the exception of 2 brews, I've used US-05 for every beer I've made and they have all cleared or started clearing on their own by now without having to cold crash or fine with gelatin.
I guess the silver lining so far is that no one is saying it looks like an infection, stalled fermentation, etc... so I guess that's a positive! Thanks for all the feedback!

This is my first post :)

I pitched an APA with the same yeast 1 day after yours. Put it into secondary yesterday. Looks exactly the same. The sample I took for a gravity reading tasted fantastic.

If I have room to cold crash this before bottling in a week or so, I will. If not, I personally don't mind the haze.

But...I'm noob status. Just hoping that knowing mine looks the same might bring you some peace of mind.

Yeast is a living thing and it makes its own schedule. Be patient and give it more time. I'm not sure if it's because of recipe or yeast batch but I've had US-05 ready to keg in 10 days and I've had it take 2 weeks plus some cold crashing.

I'm pretty sure the beer itself is fine. Just trying to determine what is causing this haze since it didn't happen last time I brewed it. I've never had an issue with S-05 not clearing up after a few days, but I let this sit longer than normal, FG is 1.010 so it is fully attenuated, has been cold crashing for 3 days with no effect. Put some gelatin in today, but don't have high hopes. Really just doing my due diligence before chalking it up to science gone awry!
What was the grain bill for your APA? Preboil gravity? FG? How quickly did you get to pitching temp? What temp did it ferment at?

Oh, and happy 1st post! Honored that it was on one of my posts! Thanks for the encouragement! Cheers and Happy St Patrick's day! [emoji482]

Back