Chili Mac, Toledo style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
I came up with this recipe in an effort to approximate Tony Packo's Chili Mac. Obviously, it's not the same but when you're 500 miles away you have to take matters into your own hands (literally!). My wife grew up in southeast MI and is no stranger to Tony Packo's and she swears by this.

Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Ready in: 50 mins

Spaetzle:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp dried basil
Chili:
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 15oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 15.5oz can dark red kidney beans (optional)
  • 1 small onion, diced (optional)
  • 3/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
  • 4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 tbsp dried minced onion
  • 1 tbsp dried minced garlic
  • 2 tsp white sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Brown ground beef and drain. Add all chili ingredients and bring to boil. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, bring about 1/2 gallon of water in a large stock pot to boil.
  3. Make the spaetzle by combining the flour, white pepper, salt and basil. Alternate adding beaten eggs and milk to dry ingredients, about 1/4 cup at a time. Mix well.
  4. Press dough through a spaetzle maker, cookie shooter, or place in a strong plastic bag with a few small holes poked in it into the boil, being careful not to add too much to the boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Drain.
  5. When spaetzle is cooked, discard water, return spaetzle to stock pot and saute briefly to cook off excess water. Chop into small 1/2" pieces. Remove from heat.
  6. Serve chili over spaetzle and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

That sounds really good right now. Think I'll have to go over there tonight and get an order of Packo Mac, or maybe a bucket...mmmmmmm :p

But seriously, if you need a hookup, go over to TonyPackos and you can order pickles n peppers or even the dogs and sauce.

That sounds really good right now. Think I'll have to go over there tonight and get an order of Packo Mac, or maybe a bucket...mmmmmmm

Damn you!!! :mad: ;)

We usually grab a few cans of Packo's chili when we're in town, makes great chili dogs!

Now I'm really jonesing for some fried pickles!!!

See what you made me do?

IMG_1255.jpg

Looks pretty good!

Had the school benefit auction this past weekend and SWMBO won a Pickles and Peppers gift box. The Chunky Garlic are DA BOMB!!!

Odd reading this post, and just got my lunch, 2 chili dogs loaded, with some pickles and peppers, delicious.... At least there is one good thing about this crappy city.

Back