Chili IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Ok so I had my first chili IPA last night and I was blown away! I never thought I would like it but I liked it so much that I have to make one of my own now. I asked what they used in it and they said they used Anaheim, pasilla, and jalapenos. My questions to everyone are: would I take an IPA recipe I already have and just dry ummm pepper it or do I need to use a totally new recipe to fit this style? also how many peppers would I use per gallon? I know I will have to tweak it to my taste, but I am trying to get a ball park figure. How do I prepare the peppers prior to using them. Thanks for all the help and advice I hope to receive!

1. Dry hop the peppers for two weeks. You can use a recipe you already have. I would suggest one with lots of citrus profile.
2. I use Serrano and use three per five gallons.
3. To prepare them I remove the veins and seeds. Freeze them and then I soak them in vodka overnight and dump them in.
I have tried adding them to the boil it adds a lot of heat and a vegetal taste if fresh. I would like to try a boil addition again but I want to get a dehydrator first. Next time I brew my Chile beer I am switxhing to tequila.

Ok thanks for the input. I liked how the one I had was all the flavor of the peppers without the heat. As long as I only dry hop is that what I will get?
Thanks for the info...I think I will be doing some 1 gallon test batches until I have what I want.

Decided to just go for it and do a 5 gallon batch. I posted my recipe in the recipe section for advice and input.

Going to make my first Chili IPA after tasting one the other day that blew me away! Here is the recipe I came up with. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Yeast
2 packs US-05

Malt/Grain
10 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Carapils Malt
8.0 oz Crystal 20L

Hops
1.0 oz Citra (60 min)
1.0 oz Citra (30 min)
1.0 oz Citra(15 min)
1.0 oz Columbus (5 min)
1.0 oz Citra (1 min)

Dry Hop-
1.0 oz Centennial 7 Days
1 Anaheim-14 days
1 Pasilla-14 days
1 Jalapenos-14 days

Mash at 150* (60 min)
Mashout at 170* (10 min)

OG 1.065
FG 1.016
ABV 6.36%
IBU-100.37

So I had my first taste of my chili ipa. I was impressed with it. I ended up only using .5 oz for my 30 and 15 min hop addition. I used that extra oz I had in the dry hop. The peppers tasted great before it was carbed. After carbonation I think it seemed the flavor had mellowed out to much. Next time I will use at least 1.5 of each kind of pepper if not 2.

you should! I gave one to a buddy of mine and he is forcing me to enter it into a competition...haha!
It has all the flavor and smell of the peppers with none of the heat!

This was the recipe i ended up using:
Yeast
2 packs US-05

Malt/Grain
10 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Carapils Malt
8.0 oz Crystal 20L

Hops
1.0 oz Citra (60 min)
0.5 oz Citra (30 min)
0.5 oz Citra(15 min)
1.0 oz Columbus (5 min)
1.0 oz Citra (1 min)

Dry Hop-
1.0 oz Citra 7 days
1.0 oz Centennial 7 Days

1 Anaheim-14 days
1 Pasilla-14 days
1 Jalapenos-14 days
peppers were sliced, de-veined,and de-seeded. frozen for 3 days. once removed from freezer i cut them into smaller chunks and soaked in cheap vodka for about 3 hours. poured off vodka and put into fermentor

Mash at 150* (60 min)
Mashout at 170* (10 min)

OG 1.065
FG 1.016
ABV 6.36%

Latest posts

Back