Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Made a batch tonight with a blend of four meets- a pound each beef, buffalo, and breakfast sausage, plus 1/4 pound of bacon. Tossed in some tandori spice on the onions while they cooked down. It was a bit different, but it sure tasted good.

This sounds delicious

Made a batch tonight with a blend of four meets- a pound each beef, buffalo, and breakfast sausage, plus 1/4 pound of bacon. Tossed in some tandori spice on the onions while they cooked down. It was a bit different, but it sure tasted good.

It sure sounds good! I have yet to add bacon to chili, what kind did you use? I'm thinking a nice peppered bacon would work good.

Cool, but could you please lead me to understand what is a Chinese red pepper?

Kind've triangular, about 4-6 inches long usually, maybe 2 inches wide at the stem. A bit sweet and pretty mild, but with more of a spicy pepper than bell pepper flavor. Unfortunately Chinese groceries and farmers' markets do a poor job of identifying produce, so I can't give a proper name.

In the states I would probably look for a mild Anaheim or Hatch chili if I couldn't find something like these peppers. Maybe a poblano...

Kind've triangular, about 4-6 inches long usually, maybe 2 inches wide at the stem. A bit sweet and pretty mild, but with more of a spicy pepper than bell pepper flavor. Unfortunately Chinese groceries and farmers' markets do a poor job of identifying produce, so I can't give a proper name.

In the states I would probably look for a mild Anaheim or Hatch chili if I couldn't find something like these peppers. Maybe a poblano...

Image attached

View attachment 1420963642946.jpg

Barkers are the hottest green chile, then Sandia, then down on the mild side are Big Jims, unless you buy them from the farm I go to in Artesia NM. Their Big Jims are almost as hot as the Sandias some years.
You can buy dried Barkers at some stores here, or the chile powder of various heat levels, mild to extra hot.

I grew some peppers this past summer that were tagged as Barkers, and ended up looking like Barkers, but had zero heat whatsoever. My disappointment was short lived, however, because it was probably the tastiest of all the peppers I grew. I only wish I knew what it actually was so I could grow them again. I grew too many varieties too close together to save seeds reliably.

Those kind of look like cubanelle peppers.

The Chinese name I found is 红泡椒, which translates to "red pickled/pickling peppers". Can't find a scientific or more accurate English name, but all the Chinese sites I'm seeing say pretty much what I said about the flavor - crisp sweetness with mild spiciness. I can say that they are really terrific chopped, pickled, and used as a cold addition to fried rice, soup noodles, stuff like that.

Try planting some cayenne in the same row as the green chiles, they'll cross pollinate and you'll have some interesting results. I put my jalapenos too close to my bell peppers one year and had fat spicy jalapenos and slightly smaller bell peppers that were very hot.

We had a commercial-size jar of banana pepper rings we finished. Put a bunch of jalapenos in the brine in the fridge a couple weeks. Wound up with what I called firepenos.

Sort-of-in-the-neighborhood of the topic:

This isn't chili. But I'll post it anyway in honor of my late friend Earl from Texas, who posted on gun forums as ezearln. He used to make it as a side dish for his smoked brisket.

Ranchero Beans

approx 3 lbs red beans + 2 cups black beans sorted, washed and soaked overnight
1 small bottle of cheap ketchup
2 tbls coarse brown mustard
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup DARK Brown sugar
1 tbls cumin
salt to taste
1/2 cup hog trimmings
1 tbls red pepper flakes
1 15 oz can Mexicorn w/peppers
shot or 2 of tabasco (TABASCO) anything else just a waste o'time
place beans in heavy pot cover with water at least 2"over beans
heavy simmer beans stirring regularly for 1 1/2 - 2 hours BEFORE adding seasonings.
Add seasonings reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook an additional 2-2 1/2 hours or until tender.
add warm water to pot as needed while cooking.

Crack sufficient quantity of malted beverages to assuage thirst and enjoy.

Best enjoyed while sitting outside under the oaks whilst playing dominos and swapping lies while smelling the miracle we all know and Love as B-B-Q

this sounds awesome...but, what do you mean by hog trimmings? lol I cook and I've never heard this term used.

this sounds awesome...but, what do you mean by hog trimmings? lol I cook and I've never heard this term used.

Well, Earl's gone and I can't ask him. But I assume he meant any scraps of pork or ham you have handy, up to and including hambones. Of course he was Texas country, so he might have been thinking of the trimmings left over when a hog is butchered...

When you trim fat off a pork roast, shoulder or leg you usually take a little meat with it. It's not a bad idea to cut those scraps out with a little fat still attached, and save them in the freezer until you have a use for them. You can add 'em to anything from beans or split peas to mustard greens.

Try planting some cayenne in the same row as the green chiles, they'll cross pollinate and you'll have some interesting results. I put my jalapenos too close to my bell peppers one year and had fat spicy jalapenos and slightly smaller bell peppers that were very hot.

Years ago I planted a row of jalapenos beside a row of bell peppers. The jalapenos didn't produce, but the bell peppers turned out very small, sweet and juicy. And about halfway through eating one, people would realize their mouths were on fire... I handed them out to everyone who visited me. :D

I mentioned this on a thread somewhere here on homebrewtalk last year, and was flatly told by someone (repeatedly and in no uncertain terms) that such a thing is impossible. But I know better, and so do the people I gave them to.

Years ago I planted a row of jalapenos beside a row of bell peppers. The jalapenos didn't produce, but the bell peppers turned out very small, sweet and juicy. And about halfway through eating one, people would realize their mouths were on fire... I handed them out to everyone who visited me. :D

I mentioned this on a thread somewhere here on homebrewtalk last year, and was flatly told by someone (repeatedly and in no uncertain terms) that such a thing is impossible. But I know better, and so do the people I gave them to.

Same happened with my bell peppers in my garden at my previous house. Had a bell pepper plant right next to a jalapeno plant. The BPs came out pretty spicy, unlike any other I'd ever tasted.

We also had an asparagus plant next to the jalapenos, but they never came out. Could've been interesting. :D

Can I just say I hesitate to put up my chili recipe for fear of sounding like a novice ;). Actually, I could use some suggestions, so feel free to sling some constructive criticism. This is the "recipe" I have grown to use every time mostly because my wife loves it so much (and I think it comes out pretty well if I do say so myself).

$10 worth of ground chuck. However much that is the day I buy it
1 medium onion, small dice
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 jalepenos, diced
1 can small red beans with water
1 can kidney beans with water
2 small can goya tomato "sauce"
Goya brand Adobo powder- enough to cover top and then the bottom of the meat in the package
Chili Powder- Lighter dusting on both sides to cover
Cayene powder- Lighter dusting still to cover
1/2 square baker's chocolate (100% cacao)- shaved
olive oil
Kosher salt

Toppings-
Sliced avocado
Sour Cream
Grated Cheddar

Step 1- Dice and chop all veggie matter and put in bowl. Salt diced veggies
Step 2- Season Meat
Step 3- in a little olive oil, brown and cook the meat through. Remove and set aside.
Step 4- Add more olive oil and sweat veggies
Step 5- Everyone except for chocolate goes into the pot, heat turned down to medium-low and simmer, half-covered, for about an hour to an hour and a half. Stir, Taste, and adjust seasoning along the way.
Step 6- When thickened and flavor is where you want it to be, add chocolate shavings and stir, cook another 5-10 minutes before plating.
Step 7- Plate and top

Consume. Even better next day...

Creamy, the one ingredient I don't see, the one thing that really defines chili and separates it from spicy tomato soup is cumin. You have to have cumin if you want chili. And what's with "a light dusting"?:confused: Measure those things by the tablespoon at least, 1/2 cups are better. You say it's better the next day, in New Mexico we don't really know if the chili was good until we hit the bathroom the day after.

Smoked Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Chipolte Pepper
Cumin
Garlic
Bell Pepper
Onion
Hot Chili beans, kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Black Beans
Tomatoes diced, tomato sauce or paste
Oregano
Mesquite seasoning or liquid smoke
Hamburger
Stew Beef
Sometimes a bit of Sausage if I have any or sometimes Bacon

All to taste

Here is roughly what I used to make a great batch last week:
Dried chiles, soaked in hot water all afternoon-6 NM Barkers, 3 anchos, 4 guajillo, 4 pasillos
1 tblspn cumin
1 tblspn extra hot NM chile powder
2 jalapenos
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tblspn dried cilantro
salt
1 large onion, medium chopped, sauteed
2 green bell peppers
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
1.5 pounds leftover pot roast, shredded and chopped
Sauteed the onion,bell peppers and jalapenos, added the chopped garlic for about 20 seconds, then added the diced tomatoes so the garlic didn't burn.
Added the meat and dried cilantro, brought to a slow simmer while I scraped the pulp off the chile peels, Ran the chile pulp through a food processor, added it to the pot and simmered for 2 hours. I added the red chile powder as needed for heat(wife said I could have left it out). I added the beans for about 10 minutes.
Served with pan toasted fresh tortillas. We ate this for 3 days, by day 3 it had mellowed some but it was still delicious.
A lot of times I'll add some smoked porter or non hoppy dark beer like Good People Brown or Guinness, but this time I didn't have any handy

Cumin goes in almost everthing;)

I believe it's the most used spice in the world, I could be wrong, often am:D
Love the stuff, buy it by the pound.

True story. I put it in everything and buy it at Sam's Club.

To be fair most blended chili powder contains cumin so Creamy might use that as a defense against the chili cops. ;)

To be fair I thought I had cumin covered in the Adobo, but a look at the plastic jar debunked that theory.

I think its the tumeric in the adobo as well as the garlic powder that gives the chili a special something.

I can't see how hitting it with some extra cumin could be a bad thing, so I am going to remember that for my next pot thereof.

I like a lot of cumin & black pepper, along with every form of cayenne I can find. If you're sick with the flu or the like & can keep a couple bowls of my chili down in the afternoon, you'll be back at school or work in the morning. that's what got my chili head son started as Anger Red Peppers.

To be fair most blended chili powder contains cumin so Creamy might use that as a defense against the chili cops. ;)
Being in New Mexico I forget that people buy blended chile powders-out here i get to choose from mild, medium, hot, extra hot, and one brand even sells "special" powder in hot and extra hot, but regardless of the heat level it's always 100% New Mexico ground chiles.

Yes I know ,and believe me I'm jealous.The rest of the world also can't get real green sauce either .

In a well seasoned cast iron frying pan brown 4 slices of diced bacon until the fat is rendered, throw in one diced onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic.
Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, then add 2 diced jalapenos, and a couple chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Add one pound of lean hamburger, 4 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Brown the hamburger then add a can of fire roasted tomatoes.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a half hour.
Season to taste with salt.
Serve over rice.

Last edited:
My middle son made chili last night, but had me to the veggie prep. Sweet onions cut into petals, red, orange & green bell peppers, some cayenne & cumin, chili powder, etc. Then added a big brick of Velveeta I cut into strips dissolved in the chili with sour creme. Ghost & Scorpion pepper sauces to add on your own.

Made one pot in the fall to clean out the garden and now winter is coming to an end(I HOPE!)
So I made a pot today, ground beef, home made sausage,black and pinto beans, peppers, onions, toms and the usual, came out really good nicely spiced with a slight burn,:D

IMG_6022.jpg

Four Ingredient Chili Colorado

1 pound pork finely diced
3 Tablespoons of your favorite red chili powder (I like New Mexico Red)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon flour to thicken the sauce

Brown the pork in a little oil. Mix in the chili powder and garlic. Saute until fragrant and then add the flour to coat. Add water or a little beer to make the sauce. Serve on tortillas or corn chips. Enjoy.

Back