Chile Beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I was planning on bottling a light american lager Ive been making for people who have that sort of taste and was considering putting half chillis in a few bottles as an experiment. I thought I could cut the chillies down the middle, soak them in whisky (I don't have any other spirits) then add the half chilli to the bottle and give it a month or two before drinking. Do you think I will get much chilli flavour/heat? Using wildfire or habaneros btw.

You will almost definitely get a good bit of heat and flavor from adding them to the bottle. Cave Creek Chili Beer have peppers in them.

Sweet. living in New Zealand unfortunately we never get to try anything different like that. That's why I make my own :) I thought it should work OK but thought I may get problems like gushers or something else I hadn't considered.

Another option to really control the heat you'll be adding is to soak the chilies in vodka for a few days, then add the vodka at bottling. That way, you can tailor the amount of heat you want. Chilies can vary in heat a LOT from pepper to pepper.

I would think that half a jalepeno would be too much for one beer. I recently had a beer where the guy used 5 sorano peppers in the secondary (5 gallon batch) for 2 weeks and I could definitely taste the pepper in that.

edit: oh hell! your using habanero's. I think half a chili per bottle is going to be way too much, but that is just me.
Here in New Mexico, Green Chili Ale and Red Chili Porter are fairly popular beers. Personally I can't stand them, I think they taste horrible.

I think I might do a quarter a habanero in each bottle (500ml) just to see what happens, me and my dad always go up against each other eating curries and chilli and neither of us will ever give in so this could be great for somebody to watch. My brother is the most likely guy to be drinking the BMC so I was only going to do a six bottles with chillies in for me and my dad to have or anyone who feels game. I had my first bud since I can remember the other week and I see what a lot of you complain about, but each to their own, its what my brother will happily pay top dollar for here in New Zealand and the recipe was aimed towards creating something similar. I just thought I would like to give something to it and my home-grown chillies sounded like fun. I designed the recipe before drinking one of my brothers buds and now I'm needing some reason for me to drink it so I thought killing myself with heat might give the beer some badly needed character.

I would re-think the habenero in each bottle. I used a whole one in a 5 gallon batch and you can really taste it with a decent amount of heat. Maybe next time you're bottling drop one in just one bottle. That way you're only wasting one bottle.

id say go habaneros in secondary itll kick a$$ aND itll be better balanced then bottling with the peppers oh yea and one more thing...send me one YUM

I grow nagas, bhuts, 7 pots and scorpions.

Each way hotter than a hab.

I put 6 habs in 5 gallons of beer in secondary last year.

It was damn near too hot to drink, lol.

I don't know how, but spice is incredibly solvent in alcohol. It will be hotter than you think.

I just put a wildfire chilli in two bottles and a half wildfire and a half habenero in two bottles, 22oz bottles. Ill give them a month before cracking one.

I should add, that while they are almost too hot to enjoy on their own, superhot beers can be used to make some ass kicking paella, or a nice base for a hot wing sauce.

Good to have a couple put back for cooking.

I grow nagas, bhuts, 7 pots and scorpions.

Each way hotter than a hab.

I put 6 habs in 5 gallons of beer in secondary last year.

It was damn near too hot to drink, lol.

I don't know how, but spice is incredibly solvent in alcohol. It will be hotter than you think.

Alcohol spreads the hotness throughout your entire mouth. That's why when eating something really hot, water and alcohol just make it worse. Milk is the only thing that helps.

That makes a lot of sense.

A bite of hab is unpleasantly hot, but I can take it because it is on a few places in my mouth.

A gulp of my habanero ale filled my whole mouth and throat with fire.

cheers for that cheezydemon, good idea with the hot wing sauce. I will be making a hot chilli sauce in about month so I will have to try the beer and use some for the hot sauce at the same time.

I'll be doing one of these peppered beers on my next brew. I definitely want to use Serrano's. I'm thinking two peppers sliced in half and gutted, in the Secondary for 3 days. I'm looking for the flavor and heat to very subtle.

Yeah I'll probably be doing an IPA or stout with a hint of chilli sometime in the near future. I would have thought that two would be quite a lot but gutting them and soaking in vodka or something like that should take a lot of heat out of it, I know the whisky I soaked mine in had some heat to it from the chillies. I dont have any experience of making a chilli beer before though but a lot of people on here have. My only advice would be to make the chilli an additional flavour rather than the focus of the beer and to be conservative on the first attempt. It would suck to end up with a beer that had too much and wasnt any fun to drink instead of a good beer that could have had a little more chilli. :mug:

Yeah I'll probably be doing an IPA or stout with a hint of chilli sometime in the near future. I would have thought that two would be quite a lot but gutting them and soaking in vodka or something like that should take a lot of heat out of it, I know the whisky I soaked mine in had some heat to it from the chillies. I dont have any experience of making a chilli beer before though but a lot of people on here have. My only advice would be to make the chilli an additional flavour rather than the focus of the beer and to be conservative on the first attempt. It would suck to end up with a beer that had too much and wasnt any fun to drink instead of a good beer that could have had a little more chilli. :mug:

I don't think an IPA is a good idea. The hops and the heat are both sharp flavors, they'll be competing. I think both chemicals are acidic, actually, and in that case they'd be directly competing. It'd be cool if you give it a shot but I don't think it'd work well... maybe if you used some roasty flavors it'd help. A stout with a little chipotle would be great. Lots of people do pepper porters.

I really like serranos a lot so I put a whole ungutted roasted serrano in 1 gallon of a very lightly hopped pale ale. It may be way too much, but I'll see. I plan on leaving them in secondary for 2 weeks, so I'll bottle next week and get a little taste then.

Latest posts

Back