Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem at all. Thanks for the input. Without it, I'd probably have given up on this thread a while back, honestly.

Sitting down with coffee, bright eyed and bushy-tailed. We'll see how many I can get through today before burning out again. :p

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but I'm working on my plan for this Frigidaire, so attached is what I have so far. I'm going to have a collar so I have not accounted for interior height at all.

I'd need all of the measurements from Post #4 to make a drawing that model for this thread, but it's interesting to see how many you can cram in there! :)

Just FWIW, I tried to draw out the Kenmore 7.2 while on travel for work.

Ended up with 3 hours of nothing to do but draw. Opened my email and saw that I emailed myself the wrong file. Ugh! 3 hours wasted. Even Carbonite wasn't a help, because the file was entirely missing from my backup.

Wasn't a whole lot I could do without the source files that had the symbols. I drew the freezer anyway and tried, but it didn't come out as expected.

:( Spent today washing beer bottles, fermenters and starter jugs. Tomorrow is brew day. Maybe Sunday?

Spent the morning trying to recover my drawing file. Yep, Carbonite didn't back it up. Turns out chkdsk ate it yesterday. Got about 90 minutes into a full drive sector scan with Recuva when I realized I had a backup strategically placed elsewhere. Lost about 3 days of work, but I don't think I'd done a whole lot in those 3 days.

Finished the Kenmore 7.2cf 18702. Hope to finish a few more and post all of the drawings today.

Added the Igloo 5.2cf FRF452B and Danby 7.0cf DCG700W1 drawings.

That should wrap up all of the models I had on backlog. If I missed one, let me know.

Will update the OP momentarily to reflect the change to the Table of Contents.

Kenmore 7.2cf 18702

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

p29AKeF.png

Thadius,
Thank you for the outstanding collection of info youu have assembled. I wish I had seen this a while back and avoided an issue, but it was only 50 bucks and will make and excelent bottled beer cooler anyway, so it isn't t total loss.. Looking forward to the rest of the data as you get it and add it to the thread!!!! Thanks again.
Wheelchair Bob:ban:

Maybe I'm a little dense, but when I click the link for the GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW
it takes me to another post but there is no layout available.

It shows bolded on the index, which I believe means its supposed to be completed.

Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm a little dense, but when I click the link for the GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW
it takes me to another post but there is no layout available.

It shows bolded on the index, which I believe means its supposed to be completed.

Am I missing something?

Just tried the link myself. Takes me straight to the layout and drawings in Post #13. Are you using a very old browser?

Finished the spec sheet and cropped up the drawings for the Kenmore 7.2cf 18702 post. It's now properly presented and linked in the first post.

Sorry I got done this morning and not last night. The eye doc gave me a clean bill of health and let me know that I'm already 20/15 in both eyes at 3 days post-surgery. I do still have some halos on bright objects in dark rooms, and some major bloodshot look that doesn't affect anything because of the suction tool they use to hold you eyes still, but I'm very happy with the results. She cleared me to drive and have a few brews again, so I took the opportunity to stay home and have a Stone Ruination. Those tend to side-track me a bit. :)

Cross-posted so as not to interrupt the other thread.

Thank you for the CAD thread, it is very helpful. I am considering purchasing a GE-7(s) freezer but don't know if the configuration I want is going to work. It looks like it might, but I don't see it among the versions shown in that thread.

Is it possible to have 3 5-gal PIN kegs, a 5-gal glass carboy and a 5# CO2 container in the GE-7(s)? I imagine the 5-gal carboy footprint is less that the 6-gal, so you could just use the 6 in your model. I'm hoping for a Prez Day sale tomorrow on the freezer.

Firing up AutoCAD now...

FWIW, 5-gallon glass carboys that I see at the LHBS are only shorter than the 6 gallon versions by maybe 4". They have the same diameter. The 3-gallon carboys are indeed smaller in diameter.

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't fit in the GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't see the model being on sale in the President's Day sale circular. Still shows the normal $229 price.

Looks like that configuration doesn't fit in the Holiday 7.0cf LCM070LC either.

Does fit in the Danby 7.0cf DCG700W1 with wiggle room to spare. That model is longer than the others, but they sacrificed height to get the extra length, so your collar would have to be a little larger than usual. Note I measured the collar height using the 6 gallon glass carboy (22" tall), you'll have to figure out the true collar height required using the height of your 5 gallon carboy. Or, with a pin lock on the hump instead, you'll need minimum 5½" collar.

Also fits in the Kenmore 7.2 18702. Looks like you'd need 1" less collar with that one, and it's been on sale twice recently IIRC.

Just got measurements for a 7cf model that I hope to draw up tonight. The Frigidaire, in fact. It fits there too, though this model is supposedly one of the best for ball locks because it's the only 7cf model that can hold 6 of em. Here's a sneak preview using your setup:

Phew. That was a lot of work.

You owe me a brew! :p

Awesome. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that and am glad I didn't rush to buy the GE7(s). I apologize for the cross thread, and should have realized it better belongs here.

Looks like the Kenmore 7.2 was a smart buy, 6 ball lock cornys. It wound up costing me 163.20 on sale at k-mart with a coupon code online, if anyone's interested for comparison purposes. I think the nice thing about picking up a GE from Home Depot is that they will deliver it for free from what I understand.

I have the GE 7. It's main draw to me was that even though it only held 5 kegs, it left just enough room for a dual box primary regulator on the CO2 tank without having to do crazy things like suspend it from the lid. Others, crammed full, not so much.

Also, were no sales going on when I bought, nor these drawings available. ;)

I'd need all of the measurements from Post #4 to make a drawing that model for this thread, but it's interesting to see how many you can cram in there! :)

So my Frigidaire 24.9cf FGCH25M8LW was delivered by Lowe's this morning, and it's sitting in the box in my garage. As soon as I get a chance I'll get you the actual dimensions of the beast if you want 'em...

Just got measurements for a 7cf model that I hope to draw up tonight. The Frigidaire, in fact. It fits there too, though this model is supposedly one of the best for ball locks because it's the only 7cf model that can hold 6 of em. Here's a sneak preview using your setup:

Which model of Fridgidaire is this one?

I don't know. The person who sent it didn't provide a model number. He did say it was new, and AFAIK only Lowe's sells Frigidaire chest freezers.

I think it would be safe to assume it's the FCCS071FW. I'll send a PM for clarification.

I'm just replying to this thread to thank the OP for this resource. I had pretty much decided on a freezer by the time this was started, but it's reinforced my purchase. Nice work.

This thread is awesome, I already built my keezer but this is great resource regardless. OP, thank you so much for all the work.

Can we make this a sticky?

Thanks for the kind words. Been slacking a bit because I'm trying to build up my specialty grain stock (in an organized way), start a yeast bank, freeze hops, etc... all while trying to build a 20' workbench and maintain by two-a-month brewing schedule.

Thinking about getting a 3rd freezer myself. That just might spur me to make some more drawings for this thread. ;)

Still looking for measurements. Keep sending them!

Yes, thank you! I really appreciate all of your hard work. Based on your drawings and research it looks like I'll be picking up a Kenmore 7.2 18702 for my three pin kegs, 5# CO2 and carboy.

Would you mind clarifying one point. I know I read it elsewhere, but am still confused. The minimum collar height refers to JUST being able to close the lid with kegs/carboy/cannister inside, correct? I should plan on adding another inch or so to the number to accommodate tubing and connectors?

Minimum collar height is the collar size you'd need to close the lid and have 1" of dead space between the top of tallest item and the underside of the lid, assuming the lid is flat.

I didn't calculate for fittings or tubing or anything like that because, other than maybe corny kegs, I can't know what Sanke tap, airlock, blowoff, etc. you'll be using. Nor did I account for the lighting fixtures in some of the large models (15.0 cf+) because they're usually a few inches taller than the smaller ones (5.0cf, 7.0cf, etc) anyway.

Taller collars look good on anything larger than a 3 cf or 5 cf model, so I'd personally add a few inches unless you have shelves directly above it. Also, taller collars plus a wheeled base bring the tap height to waist level for easier pours. I have a 2x4 base with 3" wheel castors, plus a 1x10 (9.25") collar on a GE 7.0cf FCM7SUWW and it brings the middle of the basic tap handles to about 1" above my navel as a 6'0" tall man. A couple inches lower (no castors) and I'd have to hunch over to hold the hold the glass under the spout. A couple inches smaller collar and my wife wouldn't have space to chalk on the names of the beers.

Cheers!

thadius856 said:
Jesus. Yeah, that's a beast.

Let me know how it measures. I'm guessing no less than 15 cornys would fit.

Well I finally got it out of the box today, and a quick check with 3 ball locks that I shuffled around shows 14 kegs on the floor plus 2-3 on the hump (3 if one built a support at the edge). So with no gas bottles this baby will hold 16-17 kegs!

The height of the hinge brackets dictates a 2x10 collar minimum. With that in place I can build in a sliding rack storage setup for glasses, hops, yeast, etc that slides side to side for easy access to kegs.

I'll take some measurements later to post, but now I'm off to the HD to buy wood for its mobile base and the collar.

Congrats. I'd say that's plenty enough for 12 taps and a few conditioning.

Just bought the Maytag 15 cf myself, and expect to put 8 taps on it some day. Of course, I'll have to cannibalize the 7 cf first.

Wow, this thread is awesome, many thanks for doing all this work! Trying to pick the freezer for my new keezer and this will help immensely.

One question though. The picture for the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW shows up as the one for the Holiday 7.0 ... is it just me? Looking to compare it with the Fridigaire 14.8.

Thanks again!

I just now figured out what you meant.

When you clicked the Maytag 15.0cf, you'd be taken to the Imgur page for the Holiday 7.0cf. You're right!

Fixed this. Apologies.

Bought the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW a little while back. Read the spec sheet I'd written up and expected to fit 9 kegs. I figured 8 taps and 1 force carb keg. Built the collar and drilled out 8 shank holes, 4" apart, in the 1x12 face (and 2x10 collar).

Went to put the kegs in last night. Much to my surprise, I had room left over. Grabbed another keg and, wouldn't you know it, 10 kegs fit plus the CO2 tank.

Crap! My drawings are wrong!

But they aren't. 10 kegs. I just misread the spec sheet.

Guess who's going to be drilling holes for 2 more unexpected taps. :ban:

Also, since it's a 9.25" tall collar, I think I can swap out my 5# CO2 tank for a 20# CO2 on the hump with just enough space to spare.

It's on a 2x6 base with 4" castors. The shanks are centered on the 2x10 collar, coming in at 45-1/2" tall OC. The center of these tap handles is 50" tall. A very comfortable pour for me at 6' tall; it's several inches taller than my GE 7.0cf S-model was.

Scored a 20# CO2 tank off CraigsList. About 2 years old, used once, still had a tiny bit of pressure inside. Got it for $65, then filled for $30. It sure dwarfs the 5# tanks I've been using.

But will it fit? Drawings say it will have 1" clearance on a 2x10 collar.

Before, with 5# tank. Excuse my beer line mess... it's a work in progress.

After, with 20# tank.

The money shot.

Fit with just about an inch to spare. :D

I just now figured out what you meant.

When you clicked the Maytag 15.0cf, you'd be taken to the Imgur page for the Holiday 7.0cf. You're right!

Fixed this. Apologies.

No problem, thanks again for all your work! I got my MQC1552TEW and all the components sans the wood for the collar. I'm hoping to put this bad boy together next week. Going to be awesome.

thadius856......been enjoying all your hard work on here. I'm looking hard at that Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft Chest Freezer Model #: LFFC09M5HW. Any ideas on the Sears Kenmore 8.8 Chest Freezer. Looks like measurements are:

Dimensions and Capacity:
Depth (in.): 23.25
Freezer Capacity: Less than 10 cu. ft.
Height w/Door Closed (In.): 34.25
Height w/Door Open (In.): 55.32
Overall Capacity (Cu Ft): 8.8
Width (in.): 41

Just want to get the a little more room than the 7 cu foots as this will be a bottle storage place also...thanks for any guidance and help!

Back