Chest Freezer Size/Use Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I'm a bath tub fermenter right now. I will say that since I moved to that...I've gotten much better results than room temp fermentations (went from about 72-75 degrees to 67-69 on avg).

I am thinking about getting a chest freezer. I already have a temperature control module, but don't know how big to go size wise. I'd like to use it for fermentation, cold crashing, or possibly serving with a tower tap. The only place I can put it is in the garage. Temperatures here range from 20s-100s year round, and I have an uninsulated garage door.

I see a few problems. Once we get into winter, the temperatures around here will avg 40-50 degrees anyways, so if I'm making ales/lagers, that'll actually be too cool. I suppose I could just unplug the freezer in the middle of winter, and throw a bundle of christmas lights in there to maintain a 60 degree temperature.

Right now, I typically have 4 5-6.5g carboys aging/fermenting. Any advice. My heads kind of spinning from all the options....any personal experience is also a plus.

I haven't done my first batch yet, but I finally do have all the equipment I need. I opted for the Edgestar refigerator that is the same as their kegerator, but without the tap, and just a plug on the top. There are 2 things that I really like about it. The first is I don't have to lift the carboy into a freezer as it is front loading, and the second reason is there is no modification needed to fit a carboy as it is designed to accomodate a regular size keg. The bad thing is that is costs about twice as much as going with a chest freezer. As for the temperature, depending on the controller you have, you maybe be able to configure it for heating with a heating pad. What type are you using?

Happy Brewing :mug:
Steve

I have a couple of 8.9cf Kenmore's that will hold two buckets/carboys without a collar. Going with two allows me to both ferment and crash at the same time. I also have them in the garage and work great from May through November. For the winter months I ferment indoors as we keep the house at 68°. But this year I plan on building one of these Can Heaters and fermenting in the garage as the Johnson Controls A419 can be used for both cooling and heating.

For a fermentation chamber, I have a GE 7.0cuft that will fit two 6.5gal buckets without a collar.

Whutever said:
I have a couple of 8.9cf Kenmore's that will hold two buckets/carboys without a collar. Going with two allows me to both ferment and crash at the same time. I also have them in the garage and work great from May through November. For the winter months I ferment indoors as we keep the house at 68°. But this year I plan on building one of these Can Heaters and fermenting in the garage as the Johnson Controls A419 can be used for both cooling and heating.

Neat idea on the paint can light. I might have to give this a try.

I made sure mine could fit a sanke keg, because I knew I wanted to head towards 10g batches.. It can also fit a aquatainer fermenter, and a 3 gallon carboy it's 37"x16.5" and 29"deep.. I got it on craigslist for $50 ! It lives outside in the brewshed so I'll be heating it soon..

Latest posts

Back