Chest Freezer Size and Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amwarrior15

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a chest freezer for fermenting ales in the summer. I've looked around here but was wondering if anyone could lead me into the right size chest freezer to look for (looking to fit 2 6.5 gallon buckets in there at the same time).

And I'm also having trouble deciding what type of temp control device I should get. Would just a regular refrigerator/freezer thermostat work? Or would I be better off with one of the Johnson or other brand temperature controllers that I've seen on here?

I'm new to this and am having a little trouble in deciding actually what I should get so I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

The ebay temp controllers are cheap as can be and really work well. They do however have to be wired but the instructions are on here and they are EASY.... As far as the freezer, buy what you can find on craigslist that you have room for...You THINK you only want 2 carboys but the extra room will be handy. Easy to have empty space ,hard to stuff 5 carboys into a 2 carboy feezer. Mine is from craigslist, I paid 25 bucks for it...will hold 14 corny kegs I think.

Just make sure you get a reliable temperature controller. Granted, the photo below was due to user error... but, you don't want to open your freezer to find this:
57245d1334540528-holy-hops-i-froze-my-brews-image-1347727713.jpg

Heres the thread.

I'm interested in getting a chest freezer for fermenting ales in the summer. I've looked around here but was wondering if anyone could lead me into the right size chest freezer to look for (looking to fit 2 6.5 gallon buckets in there at the same time).

And I'm also having trouble deciding what type of temp control device I should get. Would just a regular refrigerator/freezer thermostat work? Or would I be better off with one of the Johnson or other brand temperature controllers that I've seen on here?

I'm new to this and am having a little trouble in deciding actually what I should get so I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

I believe mine is a 9 cubic foot Chest freezer. That will hold 2 bucket and a 3 gallon up on the ledge :). Also get a digital temp controller not one with a crappy dial. I like the johnson(what I have) Its spendy but worth it

I'll be on the look out for a 9 or more cf freezer. Which digital temp controller do you recommend? I plan on fermenting with the chest freezer outside in a shed which can get pretty hot because I don't have enough room in the house.

I've got the Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C hooked up to my kegerator and it works well. I've never used it as a fermentation chamber though so I guess I can't speak to how easy it is to accurately dial temps up and down.

Last edited by a moderator:
One last question. Since the temperature in the bucket will be higher than the actual temperature of the freezer what temperature should I set the temp controller at?

Learntobrew.com has the best deals delivered on the Johnson controls ...... I have a 5 cf chest freezers with a 6 in high collar that holds to buckets with some room to spare ... without the collar it would only hold one

One last question. Since the temperature in the bucket will be higher than the actual temperature of the freezer what temperature should I set the temp controller at?

Alot of people will tape the temperature probe to the side of their carboy/bucket. The idea is that you're getting a more accurate reading of what the temp of your fermentation is rather than the ambient air temp of the ferm chamber.

I put the probe on the side of the bucket, make a pad out of kitchen paper and put it over the probe to insulate it from the air and then hold in place with duct tape.

Also, if you have the space, go as big as you can afford (to purchase and run?). I got a 7cu ft (I think) as all i wanted was enough to ferment 1 bucket at a time and then store the products while brewing the next batch. I was limted by size rather than cost. I want to get into kegging now and I won't be able to fit a fermenter and keg in the same freezer at the same time without adding a collar (which will be the first project after the kegging setuip is purchased!).

I'm still new at this - I've got my first 5 gallon batch fermenting now, so I'm no expert.

That said, I've got a chest freezer in an out-building that's not climate controlled, also. I bought this temp controller and this small heater. After all, I'm going to want to brew during the winter as well.

My solution for the probe was to use a gallon milk jug (emptied and rinsed, obviously) filled with water. I cut a slit in the top and put the probe in through the slit. The water insulates the probe from sharp temp swings. It made sense to me, and seems to be working so far - I just got everything hooked up yesterday. The temperature strip on the fermenting bucket is reading about 2 degrees higher than the probe. So, I adjust from there.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back