Chest Freezer Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been cleaning up an old chest freezer that I got from craigslist for 20 bucks. When I picked it up it was running and cold, but after it warmed up to room temp it stinks like mildew. The insulation in the top was wet so I replaced it. I removed the seals and cleaned them up as best as possible. Then gave everything a general wipe down w/ bleach. Everything looks clean but it still smells. Anyone ever have any infection problems from old chest freezers.
I'm using it as a fermentation box, not for lagering so it's at 68°-70°

That's what airlocks are for. I'd just spray the inside down with a mild bleach solution and then dry it out the best you can. Control moisture in the future with some damp rid.

You might also want to get some baking soda and keep it in an open box so it can absorb the odors. Dry coffee grounds also work to remove freezer odors.

That's right. Big Duh!!! on my part.:drunk:
OK... What about yeast starters on stir plates covered in loose foil. Apparently they'e also the coolest cat toy on the planet and inside the freezer seems to be the only safe place.

Slap a box of "Arm and Hammer" in there and forget about it. It will suck up all of those smells.

david_42 said:
Post-whores!

THIS coming from the man with almost 10,000 posts.....all of which have no doubt been pithy, rich, and full of thoughtful commentary :D :D :D I sure hope you dazzle us with something REALLY special in the boneyard when you hit 10k!!!! :mug:

Back