Cherry juice concentrate as priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Can I use cherry lane cherry concentrate as priming sugar? How would I figure out how much to use for a Brewers Best oatmeal stout kit? Here's the nutritional info for two tablespoons
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391635186.060794.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My first thought (long answer) is that the sugars in the concentrate are going to be a combination of sucrose and fructose (possibly others as well). When priming usually corn sugar or table sugar is used, and I'm not sure how yeast responds to fructose. If you can figure that out and you can figure out the ratio of sugars in the concentrate, you could come up with a formula of how much concentrate to add.

Short answer, I'd measure how many grams of priming sugar I normally use for a batch and match it up with how many tablespoons of the concentrate give me that many grams of sugar. For a first batch I would err on the side of caution.

Why not do this - add the cherry juice (either to the secondary or the primary before bottling)- let it ferment for a week - then bottle normally, using corn sugar.

Why not do this - add the cherry juice - let it ferment for a week - then bottle normally, using corn sugar.

I like this idea. Twice, I've used cherry concentrate to prime cider and both times it undercarbed. Likely due to the mix of fermentable and unfermentable sugars. (like RiverCity said).

Will it still have some whispers of cherry if I do it that way...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also like the idea of adding the cherry juice concentrate during ferment instead of as bottling sugar. No telling how much of the sugars in it are caramelized / unfermentable due to the concentration process, but at ~68°Brix it will be much of them.

I made an Imperial Stout with 200g (about 10-12tbsp, or about 3/4 cup) of 68°Brix cherry concentrate in a 5gal batch (added at end of boil, like late extract). There's far more than a "whisper" of cherry in that stout, and that's an Imperial. If I only wanted a whisper, and it was a more reasonable-gravity stout, I'd go more like 1/4 cup (4 tbsp / ~65g) in a 5 gal batch.

To keep the cherry flavor and aroma, I perform a secondary (which I normally dont) , and pour in teh cherry concentrate, then gently mix it in (don't aerate the wort) and let it sit a week.

When I use Cherry puree (49 ounces) I let it sit longer, at 68F and wait until there is almost no air lock activity - which can continue - slowly - for a while.

You could pour the cheery concentrate in the primary if you don't want to rack to a secondary, but stirring it will sir up the trub.

Latest posts

Back