Cherry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meieret

Reaction score
Newbie cider brewer but a lot of beer brewing experience. Used Trader Joes cherry cider with Nottingham yeast and turned out very nice! 1.062SG and 1.020FG. Wife loves it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just the cherry? Anything else in the recipe?

Really surprised it finished at 1.020. That seems like a sweet finish.

I have done two now with tart cherry juice blended with apple cider. Both started in the mid to high 1.060's and both finished low and dry. One with Notty at 1.002 and one with the WLP cider yeast at 0.998. I back sweetened both very slightly and they were very good. Surprisingly the WLP cider yeast was not as good as regular old Notty. I will not be using it again.

I have done two now with tart cherry juice blended with apple cider. Both started in the mid to high 1.060's and both finished low and dry. One with Notty at 1.002 and one with the WLP cider yeast at 0.998. I back sweetened both very slightly and they were very good. Surprisingly the WLP cider yeast was not as good as regular old Notty. I will not be using it again.

So was this a still cider, or carbed, and how did you do it?

Not sure why it didn't finish closer to 1.000. The finished product is not that sweet and also not really dry like the the apple and pear that I've done. The trader joes cherry cider juice is actually just apple, cherry, plum, and pineapple juices from concentrate. I force carb all my stuff cause I do a lot of beers.

I only gave it a couple of weeks before I kegged it. Future batches will be given more time. But since I'm still new to ciders, I was antsy to see how it turned out.

Here's what it looks like ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396923879.612668.jpg

So was this a still cider, or carbed, and how did you do it?

kegged, force carbed, and sparkling.

Just took some sweet apple cider, some tart cherry juice, and some dextrose. Put it all inthe carboy and pitched some yeast. Fermented out and cleared then I kegged it.

What kind of apple cider and tart cherry do you use?

ProdAdminImage.ashx

I do not remember all the apple cider types/brands I used. I always blend multiple brands of juice/cider.

I'm late to the thread, but I agree. Nottingham should in theory ferment about 95% (in my experience) of all sugar and has a tolerance that is marked as "high." This home brew would only have 5.51% ABV (average/slight low for a cider). I would expect it to finish around 1.003 - 1.005 (closer to 7.5% ABV). But the thing is, this yeast is marked as "medium-high attenuation" so maybe the fact it's a different medium really changes the rate.

Side note I have some of this juice too, plan on back-sweetening a cider with it.

Back