Cherry beer recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
I'm a newbie who has made about four batches of beer and, with my cherry tree blossoming, I'm tempted to expand to attempting a secondary fermentation and to make something using some of my harvest of tart cherries.

Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of beer I should flavor with my cherry harvest? My LHBS has a pretty wide selection of Brewers Best extract kits, so I'll probably end up using one of their kits.

I've looked for cherry beer recipes online but a lot of them call for canned or frozen sweet cherries, I'm guessing I can't switch those recipes to fresh, tart cherries but perhaps the fermentation makes the difference moot?

Thanks!

I just put a stout into secondary with cherries and cacao nibs. Going to end up as a chocolate cherry stout if I can ever get it finished (having issues with not reaching proper FG).

The two beers that come to mind for me immediately are stouts/porters and wheats. Cherry, I think, goes well with either of those.

A cherry wheat gets my vote! I don't know how the tart cherries would work though. I have tart and sweet cherry trees in my yard. I think the wife uses the tart cherries for baking and the sweet for just plain eating.

Back