Chemical Taste and Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_hart

Reaction score
Hi

I have been brewing beer from home for many years, but lately the last five attempted have failed. The beer after the usual 10 days as a chemical (like TCP) taste and smell to it.

The same thing happened last year, about the same time?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and what might fix it?

Thanks

Chris

Well,

It is likely that it is one of two things. Either your brewing equipment or home has a stubborn bacteria or wild yeast that is in your air this time of year, or perhapse your furnace filter (unlikely), or it is something to do with your water. Try giving all of your equipment a thourough cleaning and sanitizing (I'm sure you do anyway after brewing for so long) and use bottled water for 1 batch to see if it clears it up. Also, do you culture your own yeast? If so, you may want to start a new culture.

If you are a full masher it's likely that your strike temp is too high. The max temp should be no higher than 75c. I used to have this prob, but since I've kept the temps lower, no worries.

Back