Cheers to Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
On a business trip to Minneapolis a couple Saturdays ago, I decided to stop down to the Northern Brewer Showroom for my first time....WOW!

This was the best brew shop experience I have had. Not only was the shop organized nicely showing all the products, but the service was exceptional!

I had a question about an item, and the counter guy was more than happy to help and offer his advice in great detail.
After selecting another item or two, another staff member approached me and offered to help me find items. He actually talked me out of buying a more expensive item in place with one he personally used that was more effective and quite a bit less $$.
Finally a third gent approached me and we talked about some problems I had been having with water pH and he shared a couple ideas, and spent quite a bit of time explaining some products to help me.

Even when I went to check out at the register, the clerk asked if I had any questions about each product as he rang them up. and offered some nice lagering advice.

Of course most homebrew shops have employees that are enthusiastic about brewing, but this shop had so many knowledgeable staff at your disposal, it was unreal. And the best part was that they never made me feel in a hurry, or that any of my questions were a bother.

Cheers to Northern Brewer Minny! I am looking forward to coming back next time I fly in! :mug:

I travel there for business on occasion as well. Next time I will stop in. My only experience with them is online, but they are a notch above in my opinion.

I've only dealt with them online however each and every time I've called them over the last few years with questions about orders/returns/etc they have gone above and beyond to help and do what they can.

I remember a particular recipe kit I ordered a few months back that included 1# of lactose however I was shipped 1# of rice solids by mistake. Not only did they immediately send out the replacement but included additional products for me to make a new yeast starter.

The equipment they sell may be a touch more expensive; however when it comes to customer service they are solidly above everyone else I've ever ordered from.

They've been good both online and in person for me.

Is the new location open now? I've only been to the St. Paul store.

I feel the same way. I might pay a little more for their products, but the customer service CANNOT be beat.

For example:
NB sent me some of the wrong malt (toasted instead of pale), I called them and they sent the correct malt out that same day. I asked if I could add in another item I forgot on my original order and they just threw it in without charging me extra shipping.

On the other hand, the last time I ordered from Brewmaster's Warehouse (probably about a year ago by now), I had received a package of Wyeast that was not only past the expiration date by 8 months, but was shipped without ice and was swollen. I also received a hop bag with a huge hole in it. I emailed them and they kindly told me that I could just write some code and have those items replaced when I ordered next. I'm sorry, but you screwed up 50% of my order and expect me to order again? And pay for more shipping? No thanks!

I'm sticking with NB! :)

Yes, the new store is open, I had visited the St Paul store last time to town. The new store will blow you a way in comparison. Bigger and much better organized. They even have an enclosed classroom area.

I love Northern Brewer! I've just been emailing back and forth about ideas for a gluten free beer. They were very helpful and quick to respond. Can I find cheaper stores? Yes, but there quality, presentation, and service have cemented me as a customer. Wish they had a store in Astoria, OR!

The store in Milwaukee is nice too, although it isn't as big. Friendly, knowlegable staff, good selection of products, and a kitchen for brewing. I wish there was a place that nice closer to me. At least the NB store is a treat when I go home.

Back