Checking the mash temperature in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rladd

Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone check the temp of the mash in the mash tun. I was wanting a way without having to drill holes to install a thermowell or a dial thermometer.

I found a 12 in waterproof probe that attaches to a digital thhermoter. It says that it will go up to 220°F. Was thinking of drilling a small hole in the top of my 10 gal round Rubbermaid cooler and dropping the probe in. Putting tape over the hole as the mash is going. Thoughts?

Why wouldn't you want to drill a hole in the top of a cooler? A thermowell cant be more than 3/8".Seems like a simple solution. We drill 1 1/2" holes all over our expensive stainless pots :D

I simply stick a fast read thermometer in my mash to check temp a few times after stirring it up. No need to check it constantly.

If you have a recirc system then I think a thermowell is really the way to go.

I recirculate my mash with a cheap $20 food grade pump for many reasons and one is so I can get accurate mash temps at the outlet of my mashtun... otherwise I think it will vary a bit from area to area regardless.

EDIT Homercidal beat me to it!

How accurate are thermowell? I'd imagine it depends on hiw far it gets into the mash. Would this work and be pretty accurate?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VKEKSZW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I use this one in my fermentor. Iv'e never checked it against another method for accuracy but I would think its dead on. Its only a hollow tube that stays at the same temp as the liquid its in. The thermometer is where the accuracy comes into play.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2.html&usg=AFQjCNElvDhJxNbtoLDziqCoyQPmimDI1g

I've reading more and more the whole 148 for dry and 154 for sweet isn't necessarily true and theres no real difference between a 148 and 160 mash.
Not my info so don't beat me up. Just things I've seen and read.I think Brufessor did an exBEERiment on it...I don't worry about super accurate mash temps. Anywhere between 148 and 158 and I'm OK with it

For smaller batches I use a 10g Rubbermaid with one of these, like this
rubbermaid_thermo.jpg

The grommet sets the depth and the rest is cake...

Cheers!

I measure the temperature as I stir up the grains. As soon as I get a stable temperature across the grainbed as close as possible to target, I close up my tun and leave it alone for the mash time. Since I don't have a way to apply heat other than adding water, I don't try. So I don't measure the temperature at all and don't worry about it. I have been making very good beer so, until I have a recirculating system I won't worry about it.

Back