Checking The Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I just had a quick question about reading the OG.. I did an extract kit for a Belgian and it said the og would be around 1.08 and it was around 1.04. The reason why i believe it was read that way was because someone had mentioned that topping off with water can skewer the OG and to just check later. I have had the beer fermenting now for 5 days. Is it ok to check what it is now to see if that had changed or should I wait a big to check where it at. THanks a lot!

Yes, you can check it at any point but avoid stirring and splashing the beer. Exposing the beer to oxygen once it's finished fermenting will cause it to oxidize and give the beer a wet cardboard off flavor.

That being said, most of my beers go a full three weeks in the primary fermenter.

I explain that top off issue here.

Now here's the thing, DON'T PANIC if your beer reads 1.040 now. Because it wouldn't be surprising to have a beer drop 40 points from it's OG in 5 days. If you topped off to the correct amount, like I explain in the thread, then you're beer WAS 1.080, so if it is reading 1.040 NOW, you'll have to wait a few more days to see if it dropped below that number.

You can check now but it probably won't give you any useful information. For example, if it comes back 1.040 (entirely possible) what will you know?

Since it's an extract kit, just assume your OG was 1.080 (as advertised) and go with that. wait a couple weeks before checking - five days is too early to look for an FG reading, and too late for an OG.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone.. That thread made a lot more sense for a noob... I never really thought about it not mixing completely together.. I do have another question then that about all of that.. i will write a new thread for that.. You guys are awesome.. I am really looking forward to this beer. This is my third extract batch so i am assuming it just takes a bunch of tries to get a good feel for it.

Back