Checking on the Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse46

Reaction score
This is my first batch of homebrew and have been checking on it everyday. I am worried that I may be hurting more than helping. I know RDWHAHB but i want to know if lifting the top and taking a peek daily could possibly taint it. I did check the gravity a few nights ago by sterilizing a tube and drawing off a small amount to use my hydrometer. I did not put the hydrometer in the beer. Thank you for any insight into this.

have you ever heard "a watched pot never boils" ? Just chill, walk away and forget about it, that way the time will pass faster.

Just leave it be, the yeast know what to do. You're not helping it by opening the lid everyday. If you really want to see whats going on next time use a carboy or better bottle. I wouldn't even bother with hydro readings for at least 2-3 weeks, so start planning your next batch cause that first one will be gone before you know it.
So as you already know, rdwhahb! Congrats on your first batch and welcome to HBT :mug:

I was like that with my first beer. I would actually take hydrometer readings every other day because I thought that is what I should do. Now the only thing I check is the temp on my thermometer. Other than that, I let it sit for 3 weeks without opening it. After 3 weeks I will take a hydro reading until I get the same reading 3 days in a row.

Walk away from the fermenter...............

We all understand that for the first brew you are so excited that you check on it every few minutes. I had my first brew down the basement and I think I wore out the basement steps going down there to check on it. Now after 15 brews I don't even check them until about 3 weeks in. Then I take a reading and think about bottling them.

Learning patience is the hardest part about brewing. It does get easier if you have beer in the pipeline.

I would recommend that you go buy another fermenter and start another brew. I actually did 4 brews before I even tasted my first one.

Thanks for the quick replies and quick...wow! I know I should have been just letting it be but i was really curious about what was going on and what it looks like and smells like etc.
Thanks again for the replies.

It sure as hell won't help anything. If you want to see it I would suggest a carboy or Better Bottle. Patience young padawan.

Most on here have done this with our 1st beers. The reality is that it gets easier to handle and wait once you have brewed a couple of batches. You will soon realize that no matter what you still made beer. Maybe good, great excellent, or even bad beer. But it's still beer and most of it still quite drinkable.

This is what I recommend for all the newest brewers with their 1st batch.....my 3 step method usually works well........

1. Once you pitched the yeast, open your fermenter lid every hour on the hour and put a finger in it as far as you can to get a "fresh sample" for taste testing of course. No preference if you hands are clean or not. I find that the extra bacteria adds unique flavors which are very difficult to replicate. :)

2. Next, take frequent samples into any regular container that you may find in your sink, just so that you can actually watch the fermentation and bubbling up close. Once done, pour back into fermenter. Again, great source for unique flavors.....

3. Ignore everything as stated above and do NOT actually do any of that in step 1 and 2, relax and don't worry it will still be beer!

beerloaf

I love first-timers - they're so cute! Hey, I say look as much as you want, just be quick about it. The less air you expose your beer to the better. But life is too short not to take a few peeks at your first homebrew. Congrats!

Sticking your fingers into unfermented wort isn't the best advice I don't think, but I say check at 5 days, then around 1 week, then 2 weeks.

But yes, with my first, I did check like every day.

Sticking your fingers into unfermented wort isn't the best advice I don't think, but I say check at 5 days, then around 1 week, then 2 weeks.

But yes, with my first, I did check like every day.

I guess you didn't read my entire post.....might want to try #3. :D

beerloaf

Most on here have done this with our 1st beers. The reality is that it gets easier to handle and wait once you have brewed a couple of batches. You will soon realize that no matter what you still made beer. Maybe good, great excellent, or even bad beer. But it's still beer and most of it still quite drinkable.

This is what I recommend for all the newest brewers with their 1st batch.....my 3 step method usually works well........

1. Once you pitched the yeast, open your fermenter lid every hour on the hour and put a finger in it as far as you can to get a "fresh sample" for taste testing of course. No preference if you hands are clean or not. I find that the extra bacteria adds unique flavors which are very difficult to replicate. :)

2. Next, take frequent samples into any regular container that you may find in your sink, just so that you can actually watch the fermentation and bubbling up close. Once done, pour back into fermenter. Again, great source for unique flavors.....

3. Ignore everything as stated above and do NOT actually do any of that in step 1 and 2, relax and don't worry it will still be beer!

beerloaf

That's just mean.:rolleyes:

get to work on the next batch!

congrats on your first.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Your beer is fine, the yeast really don't need you hovering over it, especially if you keep openning the bucket to peak in, you keep voiding the co2 that is meant to protect the beer, and run the risk of either oxidyzing it or having something nasty get in there.

A lot of us who do month long primaries, just pitch our yeast and come back in a month to bottle, and guess what? The yeast manage really well on their own. I've yet to have a bad batch of beer, or not have my yeast take off. And I've made a lot of beer.

Go get another fermenter, and start another batch of beer, that will keep your mind of this one.

Or just do what I do.

Go out and get drunk. Mix it up. Beer, wine, jello shots, jager, pickled eggs, etc., etc... Then hopefully you'll wake up the next day with a killer hangover and not even so much as want look at your beer.

Just rinse and repeat until your 2-3 weeks is up. :rockin:

Or just do what I do.

Go out and get drunk. Mix it up. Beer, wine, jello shots, jager, pickled eggs, etc., etc... Then hopefully you'll wake up the next day with a killer hangover and not even so much as want look at your beer.

Just rinse and repeat until your 2-3 weeks is up. :rockin:

HAHAHA... oh man after last weekend I can relate.

Latest posts

Back