Checking mash gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on a method I use. I've been doing BIAB for the last year or so, an expert by no means. Reading alot about efficiency and people missing their numbers, mashing for 15 minutes, so on so forth...
So I had an idea awhile back to pull a sample every 15 minutes when I would stir the mash and check the gravity. Sure enough you can watch the gravity rise every time. So basicly I just mash until i hit my numbers and proced to the boil. does this make any sense? I'm just wondering because I have yet to read about anyone else doing this.
Couple things to note, gravity readings have to be adjusted for temp. also water volume. I'm usually dead on or within one point using this method (minus the RIS i did last month, made a judgement error there) sometimes the mash last 30 minutes, sometimes an hour. I dunno, Am I crazy for doing this? Is this a good idea?

that is interesting. i've also heard of using iodine and if it turns purple it's not finished yet. which i like that method since i use iodine for sanitizing.

See my post on 11-17-2014 beginners forum .My best brew day ever, that's how I measure my SG through the mash.

I too pull readings through out the mash, simply makes sense to me. Do you squeeze the grains or sparse at all? It's really remarkable to see how much the reading spikes after doing either..

I'm looking for opinions on a method I use. I've been doing BIAB for the last year or so, an expert by no means. Reading alot about efficiency and people missing their numbers, mashing for 15 minutes, so on so forth...
So I had an idea awhile back to pull a sample every 15 minutes when I would stir the mash and check the gravity. Sure enough you can watch the gravity rise every time. So basicly I just mash until i hit my numbers and proced to the boil. does this make any sense? I'm just wondering because I have yet to read about anyone else doing this.
Couple things to note, gravity readings have to be adjusted for temp. also water volume. I'm usually dead on or within one point using this method (minus the RIS i did last month, made a judgement error there) sometimes the mash last 30 minutes, sometimes an hour. I dunno, Am I crazy for doing this? Is this a good idea?

If it works for you theres no reason to stop! I personally dont take gravity readings until I have my desired preboil volume because of how concentrated/diluted the wort can be when draining. I also enjoy letting the beer do its thing and seeing the results once I'm drinking it...thats just me but do what works for you!

I too pull readings through out the mash, simply makes sense to me. Do you squeeze the grains or sparse at all? It's really remarkable to see how much the reading spikes after doing either..

I usually squeeze the bag a little, my last brew I decided to use the 1lb to 1.25qt method and I sparged to reach my starting volume. Interesting to here the rest of you do this, I thought I was the only one :cross: brew on!

i read that you don't want to squeeze the bag, as this can release the tannins?

That's been dis proven many times but once written it's nearly impossible to unwrite it. Getting the pH to high and then getting the temperature over 170 is how tannins are really released. You cannot squeeze hard enough to release tannins.

good to know! I do partial mashes or steeping grains right now, and have been very worried about squeezing the bag. good to know i can stop worrying about that.

How do you know the amount of water you have? Have you calculated how much water the grain absorbs or are you guessing? Are you using the amount of water you have pre boil to determine the efficiency and if so how do you know how much water you have when you're still mashing?

Each recipe I've done has been different and mashing can change from batch to batch. I've taken samples and temp corrected them but I always let them cool in the fridge since temperature correction calculations aren't always accurate enough for me and it doesn't take too long to get the samples I take down to 60F to be sure. I typically mash for an hour or a little longer just because I don't feel the need to shorten my day by 30 minutes when I start brewing around 6:00am.

Back