Checking Color of Finished Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
Given an SRM color from Beersmith or something, is there any simple way of checking it after the beer is brewed? I'm new to brewing, but I figure I'll want to make some beers over and over again. But determining if I got the color the same brew to brew seems difficult without a measurement. Do most people just ignore this fact?

I aim for a particular color but if it turns out different I usually just end up renaming what I made (i.e. my Belgian Golden Strong got redubbed a Tripel when it turned out roughly 8-9 SRM due to boil darkening :) )

I use a SRM Color chart to determine the colors though for comparison to my brew:
SRM+Beer+Color+Chart.jpg

Those colors look too light to me unless you are looking through a very small amount of beer. 30 is pretty close to black, and on this it looks maroon (on my monitor anyway). I’m happy if I get in the general area, flavor is my concern, color is just a byproduct.

So I guess most don't worry about it? I thought it might be a reasonable way of diagnosing issues on repeat brews. But I suppose if that's the case, I could always keep a few extra around and pour side by side.

Back