check this break material!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "no chill" over night in my boil kettle and I see similar floating cold break blobs. Mine get broken up as I pour into the fermenter to aerate though.

I've tried to filter it out by lining a strainer with my hop sack but it goes right through. I bet if you gave you carboy a little swirl, the blob would be gone.

This is good to know, i literally just siphoned everything but the bottom inch or so from the bk, ill just be careful siphoning to bottling bucket in 10 days or so.

brewkinger said:
As a relatively new brewer, I am fascinated by this.
Can someone please explain what that is and is it specific to a particular style of beer or ingredients?
It looks slightly similar to clumps that I got once from improperly mixed gelatin.

I have witnessed this in both ales and lagers when the yeast pitch was delayed for cooling (or when I forgot to buy yeast). My uneducated guess is that it has to do with cold break and hop oils clumping together.

Back