Check out this scammer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
I just got this response to an item I have posted on craigslist:
Hello,
Thanks for the prompt response. I am satisfied with the information you provided about it on craigslist. I want to make an instant purchase from you, so please do withdraw the post from Craigslist, I don't mind adding an extra 40 bucks for you to do so. I want to be rest assured that the item is in hand. I will also like you to know that I can only make payment via money order at this time b/c I am away on assignment. Please provide me with your full names, address and phone number so I can make the money order out to you and have it sent ASAP. It will take about 6days for payment to get to you . As per pick-up, I will make arrangement for pick-up the next day after the money order has been received by you.
Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards
Ambrose Walker

Must be the same guy:

chances-poster.jpg

"I can only make payment via money order at this time b/c I am away on assignment."

"on assignment?" Does anyone actually ever say that? What does that mean? lol Must work for the CIA or something.

"I can only make payment via money order at this time b/c I am away on assignment."

"on assignment?" Does anyone actually ever say that? What does that mean? lol Must work for the CIA or something.

HAHA that's exactly what I was thinking!

I liked the guy on that link I sent who said he emailed back and gave him the address to the FBI headquarters to send the money order to. :D

I liked the guy on that link I sent who said he emailed back and gave him the address to the FBI headquarters to send the money order to. :D

Haha not a bad idea! My dad is retired from the FBI and my girlfriend's dad is in the FBI haha. I just emailed him back and said I removed my ad...I am going to see what he says next and decide my next move.

Until then suggestion on how to proceed are welcomed and encouraged:ban:

He'll most likely send you a fake/fraudulent money order, if you get any payment. Wonder if he would be dumb enough to send it from a real address. If he did, you could nail him!

Yes, I used to read 419eater.com when bored in class and many said that the money orders were accepted by banks as legitimate, then denied after a few days when the fraudulence was discovered

Yes, I used to read 419eater.com when bored in class and many said that the money orders were accepted by banks as legitimate, then denied after a few days when the fraudulence was discovered

That's a serious problem with our current banking system. Same for credit cards. We need a method of payment that can be guaranteed and so much of this fraud would simply disappear.

isn't that what a cashier's check is ?

There are many forged ones just like money orders. A lot of people don't know it's a forgery until it's too late. Too late in many of these scams means that the bank accepted it for deposit, you then send the money to the scammer and a few days (or even weeks) later, the instrument is discovered to be forged and they take it back out of your account.

every time i post something on craigslist valued over $100 i get tons of these emails.

i just reply with a bunch of curse words. some of them are pretty comitted to the lie saying that they dont like being cursed at and that they are going to report me to CL. then i just copy and paste them the other 5 emails i got that day with the same wording.

i just wish there was a way to track all of these email addresses and get these people.

I've had the same kinds of experiences selling things on Craigslist. It's tiresome, but the scams are easy to spot and you'd have to be a dufus to fall for one of them.

What's far worse than scammers on Craigslist are the common run-of-the-mill spammers that send you virus-infected junk and unwanted advertisements. It's especially creepy when they learn what your name is, or your name and telephone number and sell it to marketing firms who call you constantly because you supposedly registered interest in their product.

I hate spammers.

I had a whopper of a ********* try and swipe my beloved Sauritch longboard & wetsuit a few months back when money was tight. Being the professional I am *cough*, I replied as colloquially as possible. Here you go:

--------------------------------------------------------
*********:
Hello,
I'm interested and may I have the final asking price?

Regards
Garret
347-408-0433 <--based from Bayside, NY
Me:
Cool-were you looking at the board, suit or the full package? The board by itself is $325 (with bag), the suit is $80, all together is $400 and I'm tossing in my soft board racks if you get the whole package.

Let me know!

Thanks-
Geoff
*********:
I am OK with the price and I think I should explain further

1. You will be earning your item fee + $10 for listing removal of
this sale from market place.
2. You will be receiving a cashier check or money order with an
amount that exceeds your earnings.
3. The difference between the check amount and your earnings is for
commission and shipping purposes - handled again by me.
4. You will be required to cash the check and only deduct your fund
and send the difference via western union - You will await further
instruction once you receive the payment.
5. Shipping of the item to my client will be handled via my shipping
company - also await further instruction.

So, I want you to get back to me asap now with your full mailing
information such as your full name, address and phone#. Also make sure
you inform me immediately you remove it on listing, OK? And I will
also be responsible for any expenses that the transaction might cost
you at the end.

Regards.
Red light obviously went off at this point, but I digressed...

Sorry, but I'm only willing to do cash in-hand and local pickup. Shipping would be ridiculously expensive and cumbersome for a board this size, plus you would run the risk of having it damaged enroute. Apologies for not putting that on the ad.

Geoff
*********:
Hi,
I want you to realize that I'm a serious buyer and I told you in my
previous mail that I'm purchasing this item on behalf of my client. My
client will be using a certified check as the mode of payment. But the
issue is that the amount on the check is more than your item fee. I'll
take care of shipping myself with my shipping company account#.

So now I want you to promise me that as soon as you receive the check,
you'll only deduct the money for the item and western union the
balance immediately. I want you to tell me that you're trustworthy. If
you can, I want you to get back to me with your full name and address
so that I can forward it to my client to mail you the payment.

Get back to me and Email me your full name, address and phone# now for
the payment.
Nail in the coffin there, buddy!

OK, let me make this as clear as I possibly can: I am not willing to ship this board. It's local pickup only, I've adjusted the ad to state that clearly, and my previous email should have spelled that out. I'm also not willing to accept anything but cash for the board, which has also been put on the ad. I've been as colloquial and courteous as possible, but the tone in your letters is giving me certain impressions about you and the "business" you run. Unless you're willing to come to me, cash in-hand, do not respond to this email or continue pushing the issue.

He went quiet after that. How people fall for this crap is beyond me sometimes...

Trunk monkey. Priceless. I need one of those for Jersey traffic. I would most likely let him sit up front though. :)

Banker here.

The money order will be accompanied by "accidently sent too much, send the merch and the extra $200 western union to........."

What do you do? You get it mailed to a UPSstore or mailbox etc or some other shipping place that you can just pick it up. Then if he really does send it you can decide from there. That way you can give him an address that isn't actually your own.

i love this kind of stuff. sub'd

You'll love this one then..It's on the site where I used to host a discusion on sex and spirituality on an erotic writer's site years ago..

Hello,
My name is doris caldwell,i am a submissive young lady willing to get a man to explore new things together,i would not mind a live in sex slave so that we can have sex as long as we want and whenever you wish to,i want you to reply if you are serious about getting someone for your sexual desires.

I am willing to meet you so that we can get to know each other much more better,i want a serious master and slave relationship and not just cyber freinds if interested i will send you my pictures if you want,just let me have your email address in your replying mail and we shall get to meet soon,You can also send me an email on ([email protected])

Doris.

I chronicled my adventures with her...

I have a Nigerian Loveslave...Do YOU have a Nigerian Loveslave?

Back