Check out the new Bud commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New, catchy mainstream music, hot women, fast cars, big party. Sorry not enough to make me wanna drink beer made from 80% corn!

"Bold Taste, Clean Finish" - LOL

I will give Bud Select one thing, it does actually have a "clean finish" - what Bud drinkers typically want. That's because it doesn't taste like anything. The taste is about as bold as water from a Brita pitcher.

I will drink the stuff if I'm looking for a cheap inoffensive-tasting megabrew beer just for the alcohol. I wouldn't drink it to enjoy the taste, though.

My palate is not refined enough to tell the difference between Bud Select and regular Bud. Maybe I could tell the difference side-by-side, but when I tried a Select a few weeks ago out of morbid curiosity, it had been probably a year since I had a Budwesier and from the best of my memory, I just couldn't tell any difference.

Has anyone tried these brews side-by-side?

As to those Bud radio commercials, well they say a lot. I mean they are basically calling their customer base idiots. Listen to them, something like "Hey Mr.jock strap-on-the-outside-of-your-pants-maaaaAAAaaan". (Ok, I made that one up but they are pretty condescending if you think about it).

orfy said:
Lost on me....
You're supposed to see that and want to drink Bud?
.:confused:

No... Not you. Black people are supposed to watch that and want to drink Bud. :lol:

Just like those super-annoying Tony Sinclair ads for Tanqeray where the guy is in a fancy swanky places and makes low-brow jokes that everybody on tv then laughs at. God I hate those ads!

Tanqeray seems like they're reinforcing stereotypes in that ad and that's a little troubling to me. At least the Budweiser ad is doesn't play to the worst stereotypes. The Bud ad is more like, "black people like hot cars, pretty black girls, rap music, and parties" and that's pretty accurate. I mean, I like those things too. :)

But still, I fully realize I'm not part of the demographic for that ad and, frankly, I don't think it's a very good ad for hitting their demographic. I could go on a long explanation of my views on marketing, but it'd be exhausting for all of us. But basically, it's an "ok" ad for black people and creates a certain inaccessible mystique for white people which, combined, probably isn't too bad of an ad, given where I assume they're trying to place their product in the market.

That was a Bud commercial? I thought it was more of a commercial for Jay Z, frankly.

I agree with Orfy.

For some reason I just had the urge to jump in my 5 million dollar sports car, hit on some chicks while I'm driving, and then go get some delicous Bud select MMMMM!

See you guys later!

See, I had the urge to have some Bud Selects, get really ripped, then race around in my $5M sports car, run over some pedetrians, then crash into an orphanage, projecting the hottie in the passenger seat (not wearing her seatbelt, as she was giving me a hummer at the time) out of the car and into the water, where she gets run over by my drunk friend in his speedboat. Good times!

Toot said:
My palate is not refined enough to tell the difference between Bud Select and regular Bud. Maybe I could tell the difference side-by-side, but when I tried a Select a few weeks ago out of morbid curiosity, it had been probably a year since I had a Budwesier and from the best of my memory, I just couldn't tell any difference.

Has anyone tried these brews side-by-side?

I have tried them side by side, and in that situation, it is very easy to tell the difference. Regular Bud is a sparkling water with some beer-like character and even a hint of beer-like mouthfeel. Bud Select is a dry sparkling water with a more refined (i.e., absent) beer-like flavor and character. It has no mouthfeel. When I tried it, my impression was that Bud Select didn't even taste like beer. I was thinking it was something more along the lines of a very dry Zima alcopop, but without the lemon-lime Sprite flavorings. Yeah, that's it. Bud Select is like Zima, but without the flavor.

beer4breakfast said:
I have tried them side by side, and in that situation, it is very easy to tell the difference. Regular Bud is a sparkling water with some beer-like character and even a hint of beer-like mouthfeel. Bud Select is a dry sparkling water with a more refined (i.e., absent) beer-like flavor and character. It has no mouthfeel. When I tried it, my impression was that Bud Select didn't even taste like beer. I was thinking it was something more along the lines of a very dry Zima alcopop, but without the lemon-lime Sprite flavorings. Yeah, that's it. Bud Select is like Zima, but without the flavor.

So... basically.... Bud Select = Highly Carbonated Sake?

Budweiser should go back to humorous advertising. These serious/flashy ads are as bad as the beer itself. When they had the Bud frogs and chameleons, I at least got a good laugh.

Bud+Rap=Crap

Sho me wat ya got?

Sheesh, and someone calls that marketing.

Here's a bud commercial for all time.

Quite a contrast.

It gets me every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot said:
So... basically.... Bud Select = Highly Carbonated Sake?

Funny, that same comparison popped into my head a few days ago. :D

Within the past two weeks I converted three BMC drinkers (one natty light) to homebrew drinkers. It started with one and word of mouth spread to two others through the week. Last Saturday I had all 3 over for tastings, muuuch tastings, and to help me bottle a batch.

I, otoh, was drinking AB's Winter Bourbon Ale. I asked them if they wanted a sip, they in unison looked down at their homebrews and simply said, "Nah, you didn't make it." They are coming again tomorrow to help with another batch.

My job here is done. :D

*flies off to save the rest of the world*

Latest posts

Back