Check out my crazy new starter flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebulon

Reaction score
I needed something I could do big starters in when necessary. I was thinking 3L Erlenmeyer flask like the rest of the hive, so a few days ago I started surfing the different vendors. My wife peeks over, sees what I'm looking at and says "hang on a sec", and goes in the other room. I can hear her digging around in the closet for a little bit and when she comes back, she whips this puppy out.

bigroundy.jpg

Are you going to biuld something to keep it upright while its on the stirrer? Or am I just not seeing the flat bottom. Very cool either way though.

Whoa crazy. Only time I've seen one of those is when they were cooking up meth on Breaking Bad.

Oh, I've used not-quite-so-massive versions of those to distill certain alcohols in my O-Chem lab. For the life of me I can't remember what they're called, but you can get special concave hotplates in which that beast can sit and heat.

HA HA! Nice idea. That'd be something to keep it busy in between brews! Maybe I could pay off some of this other equipment by selling my resultant contraband to the beach peoples.

You are right, Coldies, the whole thing is a sphere. I'm working on a short stand for the frige that it can rest on while crashing, and a custom stir-plate that can properly accommodate her rather generous bottom.

Reno Envy: "Round-bottom balloon flask", I think.

I wish I could afford the genuine equipment that mates with this but the rest of this project is destined for DIY :D

My wife peeks over, sees what I'm looking at and says "hang on a sec", and goes in the other room. I can hear her digging around in the closet for a little bit and when she comes back, she whips this puppy out.

She just whips out a $180 5L Round Bottom Pyrex Boiling Flask just like that?

Holy Cow! She's probably got slants, a stir plate, agar, test tubes, and all sorts of stuff stashed in her purse. :D

Zebulon said:
Reno Envy: "Round-bottom balloon flask", I think.

I wish I could afford the genuine equipment that mates with this but the rest of this project is destined for DIY :D

It's called a Florence Flask or Boiling Flask. I have a few smaller ones I use for boiling... great for rehydrating dry yeast, priming sugar, etc.

Though I do have a 5L E-Flask (in addition to my 2L) that I use for starters.

She just whips out a $180 5L Round Bottom Pyrex Boiling Flask just like that?

Holy Cow! She's probably got slants, a stir plate, agar, test tubes, and all sorts of stuff stashed in her purse. :D

That is almost not an exaggeration. She's worked in various labs for many years, and always snags cool looking stuff as it's headed for the dumpster. She's not too proud, heh. This boiling flask as you call it originally had some kinda electric wrap thing that went around it, and cradled it, with a temperature controller and everything, but she couldnt find it when they were throwing it away. It has never been used, was still in the original box and was headed for la garbage. Unbelievable. Was probably ordered by mistake she said, or for a project that never occurred. Somehow it survived the downsizing of her labware collection before we relocated to the island. Lucky me!

180 bucks? I should put some bling on it!
Maybe theres a bedazzler in that closet too...

What you need is a big ole cork ring to set that thing on your stir plate and in the fridge to crash (if that is your thing).

As far as the stir bar, I wouldn't sweat it, I use all shapes of stir bars in my various sized round bottoms in the lab and unless I go crazy with the speed, they don't get thrown.

I found a huge cork ring support at fishersci, but it would cost me almost 50 bucks all said and done. Bit rich for my blood. Maybe I can diy a cork ring of my own.... hmm.

Having never owned a stirbar, it was no different to buy either the round one or the egg shaped, some 5 dollar difference, so no worries on that. At least I know that part will work, hehe.

Hmmm

Special stand
Special stir plate
special stir bar

Ebay it and buy a E-flask. If you can get $35 you can net a 1L E-flask.

adam01 said:
Hmmm

Special stand
Special stir plate
special stir bar

Ebay it and buy a E-flask. If you can get $35 you can net a 1L E-flask.

1L e-flasks are so useless... ugh. You can barely grow any yeast in it at all.

A 1L flask is somewhat more useful if having to propagate from a slant or petrified dish, but if starting from a smackpack or WL vial, it is extremely inflexible.

This is largely due to the fact that, at any given combination of volume and gravity, there is a limit to how much yeast can be supported while still allowing growth (the method, such as basic starter vs stirplate, also affects this, but it's not very scalable and we'll assume one is using a stirplate anyways). A starter made with 100% or more of this maximum yeast level won't see any growth at all. So the only way to further increase growth is to adjust one of the two factors in the previously mentioned combination.

You can increase the gravity, which provides more yeast food, but this results in their environment containing a higher concentration of alcohol, which hurts yeast vitality (health) - arguably an even more important function of making a starter than increasing viability (cell counts) - and so is wisely considered such a bad idea that pitching rate calculators never even let users change the gravity of the starter.

The other variable that can be changed is starter volume. Wyeast XL smackpacks and White Labs vials are produced with roughly the maximum that could be produced in a 1 pint flask. Meaning a starter smaller than a pint will not produce yeast. Since there are about 2 pints in a liter, this means that only about half of the flask - 1 pint - is even useful to begin with (assuming a fresh pitch). And I've never even used a calculator that will even calculate for volumes less than 1L!

But you make good beer with just a 1L flask, so it's obviously not necessary, right? Well no, it's not strictly necessary, but neither is making a starter in the first place. People make starters to make better beer, and not spending just a tiny bit more for a flask twice the size is a pretty big compromise, unless you're doing extremely small batches. To demonstrate in quantitative terms just how big a compromise it is, we'll assume one is brewing 5gallon batches - very few brewers exclusively stick to much smaller batches. As I mentioned before, there is a limit to how many yeast cells can be in a given volume of starter wort where viable cell counts can no longer increase. With a 1L starter, you can only provide enough yeast to provide an adequate pitching rate for a wort with an OG of roughly 1.065 (with a stirplate) and about 1.045 (with a basic starter). Those numbers are pretty awful IMO, but it gets worse. Those are based on typical pitching rates for ALES. Want to make a lager? Cut the number after the decimal point in half - in a 5gal batch of lager, a 1L flask only allows proper pitching rates for wort with an OG of up to roughly 1.033, and a mere 1.023 if using just a simple starter! That is beyond pathetic.

So it really makes far more sense to invest in a 2L flask, as it provides a much better balance between functionality and cost. I personally own a 2L and a 5L, and had originally planned to add a 1L flask next - but knowing what I know now, I am definitely just going to get an extra 2L flask.

Yeah, I could probably sell this thing but, I decided pretty much the second I saw it that it'll be well worth the 30 bucks total investment to have the sickest yeast starter rig on Earth.

Once it has been expertly Bedazzled, you'll see what I mean. ;)

But seriously, 5 liters for free, that's some awesome flexibility for me that I hope to take advantage of.

Zebulon said:
Yeah, I could probably sell this thing but, I decided pretty much the second I saw it that it'll be well worth the 30 bucks total investment to have the sickest yeast starter rig on Earth.

Once it has been expertly Bedazzled, you'll see what I mean. ;)

But seriously, 5 liters for free, that's some awesome flexibility for me that I hope to take advantage of.

:mug: good call... I love having the option of my 5L E-flask. Even with older yeast of roughly 10% viability, I build a starter for a 5gal batch of 1.100 ale in only 2 steps (and that is with the initial starter in the 1-1.5L range, as there IS no point in making a bigger starter for only 10mil cells). With a 3rd step, I could make more yeast than I could possibly need, a pitching rate adequate for an ale with a gravity a bit higher than 1.320 (or even a 1.160 lager). And that is starting with just 10% viability. Everything is assuming the use of a stirplate, of course.

With an extremely fresh vial or smack pack, you can make up to enough yeast for a 1.140 ale without any stepping up at all, and with just a single step you could theoretically pitch into an ale bigger than 1.400! To give a bit of extra perspective - you would grow about the same amount of yeast by pitching the first step into a basic 5gal batch of starter wort!

Basically, the ability to make very sanitary starters with so few step-ups - and even then, only under pretty extreme circumstances - makes a 5L flask an incredible piece of equipment to have, and I'd consider it absolutely indispensable if I were making 10gal (or larger) batches.

You can use any pail to make a starter for any size batch, it doesn't have to be a flask, and there are other options than using a stir plate. I know it seems to be the trend that an erlenmeyer is needed for proper starters, but in reality, anything would work.

onthekeg said:
You can use any pail to make a starter for any size batch, it doesn't have to be a flask, and there are other options than using a stir plate. I know it seems to be the trend that an erlenmeyer is needed for proper starters, but in reality, anything would work.

It's an issue of sanitary practice. You want to keep the bacteria and wild yeast non-existent, if possible, while propagating yeast. Of course, this would require autoclaving the starter wort right in the flask, but boiling it instead is a close second.

With an extremely fresh vial or smack pack, you can make up to enough yeast for a 1.140 ale without any stepping up at all, and with just a single step you could theoretically pitch into an ale bigger than 1.400! To give a bit of extra perspective - you would grow about the same amount of yeast by pitching the first step into a basic 5gal batch of starter wort!

Basically, the ability to make very sanitary starters with so few step-ups - and even then, only under pretty extreme circumstances - makes a 5L flask an incredible piece of equipment to have, and I'd consider it absolutely indispensable if I were making 10gal (or larger) batches.

Interesting. How much starter wort do you start with when using your 2L flask? How much do you start with when using the 5L with no step ups?

I have some 1L, 2L, and a 3L and I'm always looking for ways to improve the process. Thanks.

EdWort said:
Interesting. How much starter wort do you start with when using your 2L flask? How much do you start with when using the 5L with no step ups?

I have some 1L, 2L, and a 3L and I'm always looking for ways to improve the process. Thanks.

It all depends on how many viable cells I have to start off with, really. And, of course, how many cells I'm looking to create. The only time I really make a 1L starter is when I have yeast that's 3 or 4 months past the production date, and the viability is too low for a larger starter to be of any benefit. Then I pitch those cells (often 60-70 million at that point) into a larger starter.

The MrMalty calculator is a good tool to use to figure things out (as I'm sure you know), but I often use the calculator included in the android app "Brewzor" (which is consistent with the MrMalty calculations), as it has more flexibility in certain ways.

Of course, these apps all depend on well-stored yeast, so if you have reason to suspect viability is lower, you can always adjust for that.

Doesn't look like I will be getting a stirplate anytime soon. What are those other options (besides the occasional shake when I walk by)?

The MrMalty calculator is a good tool to use to figure things out (as I'm sure you know), but I often use the calculator included in the android app "Brewzor" (which is consistent with the MrMalty calculations), as it has more flexibility in certain ways.

Thanks for the tip on Brewzor. Looks pretty cool.

I've always made .5L stepped to 1L, stepped to 2L over a few days. I think I'll be cutting out some steps with fresh yeast.

Here's some fun to add: This spin bar is so well balanced, teflon coated and magnetic that it works as a freaking compass on my desk. I spin it around lightly and it stops on north.

So if anyone needs directions on how to get here, just ask the sickest spinbar on Earth.

Just finishing up "Yeast" by Chris White...he has an interesting discussion on starter volume vs yield (pg 139 -140)

It looks like 1.5L - 2L is the sweet spot for propagating yeast...he says a small starter results in very little yeast growth....the yield factor hits a high at around 1.5 L

I have a 2L flask, but cannot get the stirplate to get the stir bar to go ... seems too big for the stirplate ... so I cheated with a 1L...

Any good 2L stirplates out there ??

I built my own, and it can handle both my 2L and 5L flasks just fine. Wasn't so great with the 5L at first, but after slowing it down a bit it never throws the stir-bar anymore and runs completely silent.

Back