Cheapskate Coffin Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_rock

Reaction score
Hey there folks, I'm excited to say my keezer build is finally underway. I've been planning and daydreaming for months now as my GE 5.0cuft freezer sat in the garage unused. Main goals are to use as much free/salvage material as possible, although I did splurge on a new freezer in hopes that it would outlast a used one. The wife says I can keep it in the house, as long as I make it look nice. :rockin:

Initial plans are for two 5-gal ball lock kegs and a 5# CO2 bottle, but according to my measurements I *should* be able to fit a second 5# bottle on the floor, and a 3-gal ball lock on the hump - I will complete the first two-tap setup to be sure I have enough room for the third before I buy any parts. I'll finish this in stages, first with two taps, but I will design for room in the tower for a third tap. I plan to use two forward seal VentMatic faucets and the third will be a stout faucet, utilizing the second CO2 bottle for nitro (if it all fits!).

I used the Inkbird ITC-1000 controller wired into the factory thermostat position. My goals are to keep the freezer body and lid 100% intact, so I will build my own lid in order to avoid drilling into the factory lid. The ITC-1000 will be mounted either in the side of the coffin box or recessed into the side of the lid.

I built a simple frame on swivel casters, using all scrap wood I had laying around the garage:

tmp_21584-20151010_153429-486344963.jpg

tmp_21584-20151010_153517-2061913597.jpg

Next step was to install the outside panels. I cut down galvanized roof tin to size and screwed it to supports between the frame. I used pallet boards, sanded and stained, to finish the "cabinet" surround, and some scrap 1x3 mitered on the top edge:

tmp_9253-2015-11-07%2011.42.101267771544.jpg

Here you can see the wiring for the ITC-1000, extended from the factory thermostat location so I can mount the controller somewhere on the lid:

tmp_21584-20151106_071401318012926.jpg

This is where my build sits for the moment, I will start on the lid this weekend. I want to at least get a lid on top so I can use it as a beer fridge while I build the coffin box and gather the rest of the needed parts.

Thanks to everyone else who has posted their keezers and kegerators, I admit that I'd never have the ideas or ambition to build my own if it wasn't for the builds posted here. :mug:

Looks great! I will be building mine in the near future and also using old pallet boards.

Be sure to post the finished product.

I'm about 98% done with my keezer build at this point. I decided to stick with two 5-gal ball locks and a 10lb CO2 bottle, rather than trying to squeeze in a small 3rd keg on the compressor hump. I ended up going with Perlick 650ss for the flow control feature; after pouring from one I was sold. I still need to get one more keg and a dual manifold, but first I'll get a single keg up and running. The coffin box is complete but I still need to drill and insulate the lid/coffin and run all the lines.

I should be brewing my next batch to keg in a week or so. I'll post another update once it's completed and actually pouring beer. :tank:

DSC_2572.jpg

DSC_2574.jpg

DSC_2579.jpg

DSC_2580.jpg

I Love it.... it looks great! Id appreciate some pictures on what you meant about not cutting holes in the original lid.

I Love it.... it looks great! Id appreciate some pictures on what you meant about not cutting holes in the original lid.

Thanks... I removed the original lid and built this one from 3/4" plywood, with a 2x4 frame around it and pallet wood on top. The 2x4 frame sits on the freezer much like a "collar" as many people use on other keezers, so it gives about 4" extra headroom needed for my CO2 tank to fit. I haven't done it yet, but I will cut one 4" hole for a fan to pull air into the coffin box, and another hole for the lines and return air.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to mount my coffin box to the lid, and also to incorporate a "door" of some sort so I can access the beer lines inside the coffin if necessary. For now the rear panel is just screwed into place, and that may very well be how I leave it.

I will be finishing everything up this weekend, and I'll be sure to post some final pictures of the coffin box setup. :mug:

Beautiful work man! Love the use of mixed materials. I'll definitely be referencing this as I start mine.

The keezer is finally complete- poured my first beer this weekend. The brew (SNPA clone) isn't quite ready but I got impatient and had to pour one. Another week (hopefully less) on CO2 and it should be on point. :tank:

I will say this: I wish I had gone with a 7cuft freezer so that I could fit a third keg and CO2 bottle. I'm already planning to rebuild the lid to accept a keg on the compressor hump, which I think will require putting the CO2 outside the keezer; to solve that issue, I'll run the gas line through the wall behind the keezer into my laundry room. That's a ways down the road, though. For now, I still need to get a second keg. Time to get the brew pipeline going!

This has been a really fun project and I almost hate to see it "finished." I'm sure I'll continue to tweak it, but most importantly it's pouring beer, finally. Thanks to everyone else who has shared their ideas and builds!

20160219_161003.jpg

Here's how I used the 4" PC fan to pull air into the coffin. There is also another 4" fan in the floor of the keezer (on 2" posts to keep it just off the floor) to help circulate air inside, and to hopefully bring the cooler air up for the coffin fan. I didn't insulate all sides of the coffin but with this setup I maintain less than a 10 degree differential between the main keezer and coffin temp.

20160219_154224.jpg

Back