cheapest brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Session beer and it was $15. It you go cheap it gets hard to make it complex but they are pretty good for the summer or low cal.

$11 for 4.5gallons. It is a really light beer I made to replace Bud Light for drinking games etc. Triple hopped w/Cascade. Best light beer I have ever had (which doesn't say much).

9.74 and it is in the secondary right now. 6 pounds 2 row and a pound and a half of corn and rice each. I had the corn and rice and made a cereal mash out of them and tossed the batch on a yeast cake of coopers. Once ounce of sazz hops as well

I just wanted to see how cheap I could go and still have a good.......well a beer LOL

Here is the recipe for mine:

Flava Flav Lite Beer
4.5gallon batch, you could scale it up or down if you like.

2.5lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
1lb Rice Solids (or 1.3lbs Rice Extract if you have that)

.5oz Cascade @60mins
1oz Cascade @5mins
1oz Cascade Dry Hop

Coopers Yeast (or any ale yeast but Coopers is the cheapest)

petey_c said:
Mayo, you're in Canada. I thought beer was extreeeemely expensive there.

I live in Ontario and I can make 5 gal of coopers for about 17 dollars but the cheapest beer at the beer store is about 29 bucks for a 24. Crazy taxes!

In Alberta, $18 "Canadian adventure ale" extract from the grocery store :rockin:, plus a pound or two of honey and a pound of dried cranberries. In primary right now.

My first attempt at "beer". I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing. :D

But yeah, Canadian alcotax is stupid. Cheapest "beer" is $24 for 24 cans, plus recycling deposit. I hope my hooch is better than that!

Here is the recipe for mine:

Flava Flav Lite Beer
4.5gallon batch, you could scale it up or down if you like.

2.5lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
1lb Rice Solids (or 1.3lbs Rice Extract if you have that)

.5oz Cascade @60mins
1oz Cascade @5mins
1oz Cascade Dry Hop

Coopers Yeast (or any ale yeast but Coopers is the cheapest)

How did it turn out? I'm looking for a good light/easy drinker recipe for summer.

Yeah beer is stupid expensive in canada, unless you homebrew:mug:. I can buy coopers kits in save on foods (on sale) for 11.99 then 500g-700g dextrose is no more than 2$.. but to buy a case of beer in my town (12 beer) = 24$.. so yeah...I homebrew, and have for over a year now :)

Came out exactly as expected, very light and hoppy flavor/nose. I made it to be a nice water replacement for hot days. Try it out, its really cheap.
It is also fun to change up the dry hop, really showcases aromas since there is basically no malt backbone!

Latest posts

Back