Cheap Whisky + Brita = Smooth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charesty

Reaction score
I've heard of running cheapass vodka through a brita. Well I bought a $10 bottle of Kentucky whisky over the weekend, brita filtered it three times, and it is very smooth. Filtering basically takes a whisky only suitable for well drinks to a sipping spirit.

In these "tough economic times", and with Taxachusett's new alcohol tax, I think I'll do this again and again.

Gordon's $10 vodka also is super smooth too.

+1 to cheapass liquor and the brita. I may even go to a $7 dollar bottle.

:cross:

hmm, yeah. Not my style.

I have heard of people doing it with success though. But, I'll stick with my homebrew.

Part of this experiment was having a brita just sitting around after putting in a new fridge with ice and water. But I did run about two batches of water through the filter between whisky and then vodka. The second pass water was fine. The first pass, had liquor traces. So, with a few passes of water after the liquor, you'd be fine.

I've heard of this but have yet to give it a shot. I wonder how it works with other hard alcohols... Maybe Ill do it over the summer whilst mixing up some jungle juice or something.

I bet it still doesn't taste like good whiskey. If I'm getting whiskey, it's going to be good bourbon (not Jim Beam and not overpriced Makers or Woodford). I would think it would filter some of the alcohol (maybe that's partially why it's smoother).

What whiskey did you get?

Heh, yeah there's no filter that will turn Dewars into Lagavulin :) Although I bet it'd take the bite out of a cheap whisk(e)y. Probably by absorbing more than a little of the alcohol.

-Joe

I remember they did this on Mythbusters and had a professional alcohol taster test it (man what a job!). They took plastic-bottle vodka and ran it through a brita filter 10 times, after each time saving a shot. The last shot was high quality top shelf vodka. The taster knew which was which. He said the taste definitely got better the more times it was filtered, but the top shelf vodka still tasted better than the filtered cheap vodka.

With the cost of the filter (not sure what it is) and the cost of the cheap whiskey...might as well step up to a better quality whiskey...like a wild turkey 101 or a buffalo trace...all around $20.

Old Forrester Signature 100pf is definitely a good bang for your buck bourbon. It's usually $15-16.

I'll look for that one. Thanks for the tip.

The $10 bottle I bought was Early Times.

With the chill in the air, it's becoming bourbon season.

the brita filter also retains water within the charcoal filter, so you're probably diluting the cheap stuff

:ban: Me and my friends filtered stupid Burnette's Vodka and a handle of $15 Old Crow Whiskey through our new Britta Filter 2x each. We then poured the unfiltered and filtered liquor into identical cups, and had people try to figure out which cup contained the filtered version (Similar to the Pepsi Challenge!! ; ). Too our surprise we figured it out, who would of thought this little guy could do such a good job... Got to thank the Chinese for this one! Now me and my bf of 2 yearsss can enjoy good tasting liqour without spending so much moneyyy!!! ; P !!!!

Back