Cheap REX-C100 PID Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a cheap REX-C100 PID with SSR.

When I start it, I got the boot process, I saw the min and max value of my thermocouple then reboot.

It's always do this and I can't go in the menu because its always rebooting.

How can I fix it.... before I throw by the window.

Thanks

Could be a problem with the power supply. Are you using the correct power supply for the model that you have?

I supply it with 110 volts.... but the label say ac220v
You really think I can't run it on 110v ???

Well yeah. If its asking for twice the voltage your feeding it..... keep in mind this is a celcius only cheap pid not designed for the US in mind or our power when designed..I have one myself I quit using when I discovered the my pin Td4 pids are leaps an bounds better for the same price range but mine worked fine....on 240v. Don't take this as me picking on you but this is the biggest issue with cheap components... they cost so little people ignore the specs and are quick to blame to product when they don't work when installed incorrectly.

Fyi the specs for power on a my pin are 90-240v AC....

I had the same problem with a Sestos PID - replaced it with a MYPIN and then said the hell with it and bought a Auberins with different sensor. Turned out it was the cheap ass sensor that was causing the problem. The Auberins did the same thing when I hooked up the original sensor. The way I figure it, if something costs about 1/2 of the rest then there is a good chance there is a reason. I use the MYPIN as thermometer only now.

I see this is a fairly old thread, but it was also the only seemingly relevant search hit for Rex C100 and uuuu, so adding my findings for future refrence:

After going over (and over and over) external wiring I took a look inside, and in my case the culprit was missing voltages from the power supply board to the logic board due to broken solder joints! Not an easy fix to unsolder all three interconnecting ribbon cables and replacing them, but works like a charm after.

Back