cheap easy dens idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i just recently learned about SG...yeah, yeah, i've been brewing since 1996.

but i just ordered some 1ml pippets, with hopes of maybe using my mg scale as an easy dens....if SG is just how different some liquid weighs compared to water, and my mg scale read in 0.000, depending on the accuracy, just squirt a 1ml pippet on it, should be the SG?

might have to look into a better one but i doubt one good enough would be ~$300?

just need to hope when they say 1ml pippet THEY MEAN 1ml! lol

At this scale, very accurate (very expensive) kit is required. A suitable pipette with tips is going to be close to $300. A suitable working lab balance more 🤌 To get it miniaturised so it fits into something like an EasyDens casing is going cost even more. Just as well buy an EasyDens and save 💰

At this scale, very accurate (very expensive) kit is required. A suitable pipette with tips is going to be close to $300. A suitable working lab balance more 🤌 To get it miniaturised so it fits into something like an EasyDens casing is going cost even more. Just as well buy an EasyDens and save 💰
Really. EasyDens is great. Buy once, cry once. (and hide the Visa bill from SWMBO'D ) 🤫.

@bracconiere do you already have a hydrometer? If so why not test your theory? Measure the gravity with known functional tool (hydrometer/refractometer) and see how close you can get it with your scale?

We're not shooting for laboratory standards and conditions are we? It doesn't work? Well now you can accurately measure salt additions to your kettle...

so i just recently learned about SG...yeah, yeah, i've been brewing since 1996.

but i just ordered some 1ml pippets, with hopes of maybe using my mg scale as an easy dens....if SG is just how different some liquid weighs compared to water, and my mg scale read in 0.000, depending on the accuracy, just squirt a 1ml pippet on it, should be the SG?

might have to look into a better one but i doubt one good enough would be ~$300?

just need to hope when they say 1ml pippet THEY MEAN 1ml! lol
This is an interesting theory. The fly in the ointment though is that the wort/beer must be the same temp for all samples so you're measuring the exact same sample volume each time. Otherwise it'll be difficult to get an accurate answer.

Personally, I'd use a hydrometer or save up for an EasyDens

Personally, I'd use a hydrometer or save up for an EasyDens

but then i wouldn't be having any fun? it'd be all serious and stuff, like i'm slippin someone i'm scared of a $20 to open my show! :p :mug:

(and i have like 6-8 hydrometers, 1 goes from 1.00-1.220, another .995 to 1.100, another goes from 1.000-1.060, and is intsy wintsy...i got a classic triple scale...two proff trales ones....but a mg scale would be my fav out of them if it worked! ;))

you just gave me an idea though...why not measure 100ml, with a scale that goes to 0.01g acuracy, i wonder if they're more affordable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301116567009?hash=item461bf22de1:g:R60AAOSw~oFXJY1z
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275398473120?epid=1603830081&hash=item401f0735a0:g:mbIAAOSwerFi3GaX
what do you think people? obviously i'm getting bored with the floaty things! ;)

Last edited:
well, i messed around with the cheapy scale and cheap 1ml pippets, with water it varried per squirt from ~0.750-1.010..per squirt.... :( lol

i figure it was a fun shot! :mug:

Latest posts

Back