Cheap design program recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjwineaux

Reaction score
I don't know where to start but I would love to play around with some pics, font, ideas, etc and create some logos and labels.

Can anyone recommend a novice program to download or buy for cheap? I'm on a PC btw. I am more concerned with the logo or label template-not ready to actually print labels or anything...Thanks guys!

I like Inkscape - it's a free, open source program comparable to Adobe Illustrator. You can find it here.

I like Inkscape - it's a free, open source program comparable to Adobe Illustrator. You can find it here.
I second Inkscape. Much more appropiate for labelling than Gimp due to its vectorial capacity. Furthermore, it is easier to do basic shapes than with Gimp.

I'm nor Gimp nor Inkscape poweruser and I got acustomed to Inkscape more quickly for this kind of job.

Cheers.

I second Inkscape. Much more appropiate for labelling than Gimp due to its vectorial capacity. Furthermore, it is easier to do basic shapes than with Gimp.

I'm nor Gimp nor Inkscape poweruser and I got acustomed to Inkscape more quickly for this kind of job.

Cheers.

+1. I own Illustrator, so thats what I use, but if I were looking for a free program to do labels, Inkscape would be #1 on my list.

You might as well pick up Gimp also. Use it to edit a picture you might want on your label. Do any resizing, cropping, color correcting or effects in Gimp, then import the saved picture into Inkscape.

Cheers.

-1. I personally can't use Inkscape because I have no artistic talent. If you rely upon Google image search and then make modifications to the results, Gimp is better IMHO.

Back