Cheap cooling methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTBYOOJ

Reaction score
I have had serious temperature control issues because of climate and poor insulation.

Current batch I put the carboy in a large plastic tub filled with water and a floating thermometer, that way I can add a little ice/warm water to keep the water temp ideal. It takes work but has yielded better than other methods I've tried.

Any other ideas?

That would be the ideal, but certainly not so cheap, you also have to factor in electricity costs.

I got a $15 stand up freezer from a garage sale and a RANCO controller for $45. It doesn't use much energy since it only has to come on occasionally to maintain fermentation temps. It is used to dropping the temp to -10 so keeping it around 60 degrees is easy. $60 is a pretty good deal for being able to improve your beers with temperature control (lagers and ales), gradual D-rest increases, and crash cooling. Probably the best money you can spend towards improving your beers.

That would be the ideal, but certainly not so cheap, you also have to factor in electricity costs.

A fridge will probably cost LESS in the long term to run than using bottles of water that you freeze and thaw back and forth. My ferm fridge in the garage seldom ever starts, except when I open the door.

M_C

1. Put carboy in shallow tub with water.
2. Buy small fish pump and put in shallow tub of water next to carboy.
3. Run tubing up to the carboy neck.
4. Poke holes in tubing so water flows down all sides of the carboy when the pump is turn on.
5. Place fan next to carboy.
6. Turn on fan. That will drop temp 5-10F below room temp.
7. Add ice to shallow tub of water. That will get a drop of a few more degrees

The fridge/freezer and controller is really the optimal solution, but expensive.

I have a SOFC, and it works OK, but it's not low-maintenance. I've had the ice run out several times when I forget to check on it every day.

Sure a fridge/freezer is more expensive, but you don't have to sit there and babysit it, or worry 'is my ferm temp to high?'
You rig it up, set it & forget about it. That, to me at least, is worth WAY more than the cost of the fridge & controller. Plus, depending on how big you go, you can ferment more than one beer at once.

It also makes your grain to glass time seem shorter because you're not always having to mess with it.

Hunter

I've got two mini-fridges ($25 total) running off a JohnsonA19 temp controller ($58 delivered) for a grand total of $83. Can you put together a swamp cooler for half of that? Sure. But it's less than $100, and my time is worth the set-and-forget convenience.

I actually made my own temp controller, but I just can't figure out where people are getting these cheap fridges. It seems to me even the smallest fridge that will fit a bucket all seem to be $150+

Craigslist. I picked one up not too far from your little town for free about 3 years ago. I was searching CL, and there it was: FREE FRIDGE - First come first serve. I was there first!

Son of fermentation chiller with a small, free or Craigslisted window AC unit. Strap a temperature probe from a temp controller to the carboy and ferment your beers to within around .2 degrees. You really can't help your beers more than that.

I actually made my own temp controller, but I just can't figure out where people are getting these cheap fridges. It seems to me even the smallest fridge that will fit a bucket all seem to be $150+

In May, when college kids are moving out of the dorms, go to any campus with cash in hand.... You can get as many fridges as you want...

Also check dumpsters there as well. The kids are not spending there own money...

DrewBrewTheGreat said:
In May, when college kids are moving out of the dorms, go to any campus with cash in hand.... You can get as many fridges as you want...

Also check dumpsters there as well. The kids are not spending there own money...

I still have my minifridge I got for HS graduation. I used it everyday through my college 'career'. Today it sits in my garage right next to my keezer holding the only thing it has ever kept cold: beer!

Hunter

Craigslist. I picked one up not too far from your little town for free about 3 years ago. I was searching CL, and there it was: FREE FRIDGE - First come first serve. I was there first!

I picked a bottom-freezer/top-fridge for $200. It's not the fancy french-door style - it's a single top door. But it works great, and fits 4x 6-gallon carboys. Couldn't be happier.

I'm seeing a good few top-freezer (traditional) fridge for $100-150, and side-by-sides for $200-300.

M_C

I still have my minifridge I got for HS graduation. I used it everyday through my college 'career'. Today it sits in my garage right next to my keezer holding the only thing it has ever kept cold: beer!

Hunter

So you are one!

Only joking. You probably got a degree that actually is marketable as well. Maybe even worked during college. Or went to a technical school--god forbid--you might actually build or have a productive job something for a living.

:off:Too bad education isn't what colleges are all about now-a-days. Tuition is 4X what it was 30 years ago adjusted for inflation. College (especially liberal arts under-water-fire-prevention-degrees) are cushy, guaranteed gigs, for professors, deans, and administrators. Deans make $500K plus and there are often as many administrators (paper pushers) as professors.

Many kids have no idea why they are going (even in grad school--they just avoid the real world)--and then drop out with massive debt. 60% are not graduated from four-year degrees within six years. That is sad.

My point being--most kids go to party and hangout--they are spending your tax dollars with heavily subsidized schools and loans--> so you might as well get a cheap fridge out of the deal...

Here are top ten schools for a cheap fridge at move out time (pretending you are in 'need,' like the pan handler on the street buying booz with the handouts, will probably help:

10 College Campuses That Are More Like Country Clubs - Online Colleges

Back